Experience of Leigh Day solicitors vs alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Yes, I was just wondering if there are potential hidden/indirect costs (e.g increased insurance premiums) if you make a claim, the third party and their insurers deny fault, and it ends up going to court and you lose based on lack of evidence. It's a situation I am facing, unfortunately.

Are you talking about car Insurance? Your premium goes up win or lose....

Shaun

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes, I was just wondering if there are potential hidden/indirect costs (e.g increased insurance premiums) if you make a claim, the third party and their insurers deny fault, and it ends up going to court and you lose based on lack of evidence. It's a situation I am facing, unfortunately.

With BC via Leigh Day you are covered for any risk of counter claim and losing in court.

Unfortunately, it's the norm for the other party insurers not to accept liability. The insurer has only agreed to pay for 10 physio sessions via the Rehabilitation Code, but are more than happy to keep sending interim payments. Still no admission of liability.

Are you talking about car Insurance? Your premium goes up win or lose....

Shaun
Yes and no. I was on a bike and hit by a car. I didn't know if, as a cyclist making a (possibly unsuccessful) claim against the motorist, my car insurance premiums (and indeed those of the OP) could be affected in the future, given that I am in effect making an insurance claim related to a RTI.
Apologies, I have managed to remain accident-free across all spheres of life until now so am somewhat naive as to how these things work!

vickster

Legendary Member
No, I can't imagine how. Not all cyclists have car insurance for starters. I think you only need to mention accidents while driving. If concerned, ask your solicitor. Ditto about any potential fees if you lose, and what you might get as a payout if successful and weigh the two against each other

With BC via Leigh Day you are covered for any risk of counter claim and losing in court.

Unfortunately, it's the norm for the other party insurers not to accept liability. The insurer has only agreed to pay for 10 physio sessions via the Rehabilitation Code, but are more than happy to keep sending interim payments. Still no admission of liability.

I was about to click 'like' but that somehow didn't seem an appropriate response. Thank you. That was my understanding fro reading the small print, I had just started to get a bit paranoid as it was the solicitor from Leigh Day that pressed me to make a claim and what I thought would be a straightforward process now seems far from it due to the motorist at fault totally changing their tune.

Thanks again.

vickster

Legendary Member

Mine did admit liability...now over two years ago and I've not seen a penny (not that I have needed to push for interim payments)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was about to click 'like' but that somehow didn't seem an appropriate response. Thank you. That was my understanding fro reading the small print, I had just started to get a bit paranoid as it was the solicitor from Leigh Day that pressed me to make a claim and what I thought would be a straightforward process now seems far from it due to the motorist at fault totally changing their tune.

Thanks again.

That's the norm, motorists do change their tune. Mine hasn't said a word, but turning right across traffic is a dead wrong.

I've not asked for the interim payments, but adding up what I've had to buy, like new slip on shoes, special pillows and supports, and the amount of help and travel mileage, it's eaten up the first payment. The second will just cover 2 months lost salary for May and June.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If an insurance company is at fault (or more accurately their policyholder is), then it's in their interests to deal with the claim promptly and pay up.
As @fossyant says though, the matter gets complicated when there are injuries involved and the more serious the injury (and potentially the effects of the injury) the longer it can take to get an accurate prognosis and agree compensation.
It is easy to work out how much a bike / clothing, etc is worth - not so much an injury that may need ongoing treatment over a matter of years, hence the issuing of interim payments to cover immediate or ongoing costs.

midlife

Guru
Yes and no. I was on a bike and hit by a car. I didn't know if, as a cyclist making a (possibly unsuccessful) claim against the motorist, my car insurance premiums (and indeed those of the OP) could be affected in the future, given that I am in effect making an insurance claim related to a RTI.
Apologies, I have managed to remain accident-free across all spheres of life until now so am somewhat naive as to how these things work!

The short answer is no. If you decided one day to walk down the street and kick a few cars then that would have no effect on your car insurance. If you rode your bike into a car then again it has no effect on your car insurance.

Shaun

midlife

Guru
I'd have thought otherwise if it led to a conviction for criminal damage? But I take your point, thanks for your help.

A conviction for criminal damage does not increase your car insurance, you might have been spraying graffiti on a wall.

Shaun

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A conviction for criminal damage does not increase your car insurance, you might have been spraying graffiti on a wall.

Shaun

You would have to declare the criminal conviction, which will then be considered as part of the risk the insurer is covering. It would be surprising if a criminal conviction wasn't judged to affect the risk and so by definition the premium.

midlife

Guru
You would have to declare the criminal conviction, which will then be considered as part of the risk the insurer is covering. It would be surprising if a criminal conviction wasn't judged to affect the risk and so by definition the premium.

Since 2013 a lot of car insurers do not ask about non motoring convictions, if they do not ask you don't have to tell them.

I would have thought easypeez case would have been civil and not result in a conviction.

Shaun

Top Bottom