Experience of Leigh Day solicitors vs alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buddfox

Veteran
Hi all,

Putting this in General Cycling as it felt like the best place, but mods please move if there is a dedicated forum / sub-forum for incidents and legal claims.

I have been knocked off my bike and suffered a badly broken leg. I have full BC membership, so have access to their legal support provided by Leigh Day. I also have been recommended a solicitor based in London (Kevin O'Sullivan) who only does cycling work and appears to have a reasonable track record based on not only the personal recommendation I have received, but also case studies he has supplied and a quick google of cases he has worked on.

The advantage of going with Leigh Day and BC is that they cover the legal expenses. If I go with Mr O'Sullivan it will have to be on the basis of a CFA ('no win, no fee') as I can't afford to cover his expenses up front or in the event of an unsuccessful claim.

For those who have been through this process, and in particular to anyone who has used Leigh Day - would you recommend them?

Thanks in advance for any views. I was also trying to find glasgowcyclist's very detailed guide as to what to do when you've been in an incident, but can't seem to locate it (am sure it was penned by that member). If anyone knows what I'm referring to and can share a link, that would be much appreciated.

U

User33236

Impressions of Leigh Day seem to vary, often due to the complexity of a case.

Mine last year was fairly straightforward. I had no issues at all with LD and was happy with the speed in which the claim was settled so would be happy to use them again. Of course the third party's insurers help their hands up straight away which always helps.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Personally my experience was very negative I'm afraid. I produced a whole range of paperwork for my case, did all of the leg-work for them and yet the case dragged on and on until it was irrelevant.

I would not be able to recommend them in the slightest.

OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Veteran
Impressions of Leigh Day seem to vary, often due to the complexity of a case.

Mine last year was fairly straightforward. I had no issues at all with LD and was happy with the speed in which the claim was settled so would be happy to use them again. Of course the third party's insurers help their hands up straight away which always helps.

Haha yes - I'm not going to get into the specifics of the incident here, but I understand the duration of these cases can vary significantly. Thanks for the thoughts on LD.

OP
OP
Buddfox

Buddfox

Veteran
Personally my experience was very negative I'm afraid. I produced a whole range of paperwork for my case, did all of the leg-work for them and yet the case dragged on and on until it was irrelevant.

I would not be able to recommend them in the slightest.

Thanks, very helpful.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm over two years into a case with Leigh day. It's all been pretty slow, lack of proactivity and getting the medical stuff sorted has been really slow, getting the expert appointments especially . The one I saw about the leg injury was hopeless and the one they suggested for my shoulder I refused to see so they're sorting another one. Check the cv of the ortho they send you too.

I'm not sure it matters much to the outcome, especially the amount paid as there are guidelines and benchmarks based on the injury. I imagine if liability is admitted, the eventual outcome will be much of a muchness, just the experience to get there may vary
Was surgery needed?

I've spent much more time sending emails than I might have liked. Also I've dealt largely with a paralegal and only recently spoken to the solicitor, I expect that's normal

In your shoes, given you are a BC member I'd go with them and be certain costs are covered

Last edited:

Binka

Über Member
Ive used Leigh Day, not for an accident but I took a hospital to court, to get treatment rather than compensation. Was a rather unusual case and they were very, very good. Won the court case and it was a major hearing in the High Court.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd go with the person/company you trust. If you feel, based on what you've been told and seen about one person, you'd trust them. Go with them.

All costs should be added to the final claim anyway.

Word of mouth is better than any advert.

BC, CyclingUK, etc. try to suggest that if you use their linked solicitors then somehow the legal fees are covered - they're not. You will end up with a Conditional Fee Agreement the same as with any other legal firm/solicitor and they will recover their fees from the other side (if you win).
What if you don't win?

vickster

Legendary Member
What if you don't win?
If it's a clear cut case and the driver admits liability, it shouldn't be an issue. Will just depend on how long the case takes to complete, and that will ultimately depend on injuries and whether you recover fully (or the expert medics agree that you won't)

The OP hasn't actually said what happened?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can recommend Leigh Day. Using them for the third time unfortunately. My first accident was pretty minor, just bike damage, but the last two were more severe. The previous accident took nearly 4 years to complete due to injury complications and surgery being needed two years after the accident.

My latest one is serious, and due to the nature of the injury, I also have an Independent Case Manager sorting things out and chasing people for me. Interim payments have been coming through - the bike has minimal damage, it's my injuries.

I can recommend them. Legal stuff takes a long time.

You mean "no win no fee" ?

Shaun
Yes, I was just wondering if there are potential hidden/indirect costs (e.g increased insurance premiums) if you make a claim, the third party and their insurers deny fault, and it ends up going to court and you lose based on lack of evidence. It's a situation I am facing, unfortunately.

Top Bottom