Experiencing more cramps now. Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
I hv adjusted my saddle higher and higher since the day I started riding seriously abt 2 mths ago and the angle between my thigh and leg is abt 30 degree (recommendation I read so far is between 25 to 35 degree). So at least i know now I'm in the recommended zone. But somehow I experienced more cramps in my calf muscle. So to relieve the pain in riding the bal. of the journey, I'd switch to rest the middle base part of my leg to pedal instead of the ball and lower the seat. It seems to have some immediate relieve effect. I know is not technically right but just to take care of the immediate problem.

Question:
1) Why I have more cramps than before I just started. Is it I'm untrained enough?
2) Will an unsuitable seat height contribute to cramps?
3) What's the best way to have lesser cramps, or rather to rid of it? Diet?

Thanks

I'm not sure I can draw a connection between altered saddle height and cramps.

The calf is a common place for cyclists to experience cramps. You may not ever stop them cmpletely, but you can minimise them.

1. Stretch before a ride. I usually feel slightly silly doing this, but it isworth doing if you're goig to be puttingin some work.
2. Don't go 'straight into' a piece of work. if you're going to do some hard work, warm up for a few miles before you start.
3. Make sure you're drinking enough - and getting enough salt. I hate salting my water for a ride (and if I do i ask it with diluted fruit juice) but if you are cramping a lot, think about adding salt to your water for a longer ride.

As you get fitter, you will find you cramp less anyway.

With the current (and prudent) move away from over-salted, processed foods, I see lots of 'health-fad' people eschewing salt altogether. This can be a mistake. Salt is good and necessary in the right quantity.

I'm not an expert and you don't give any information about your general halth and fitness. Nonetheless, the above seems to apply to most people I know.

I hope it is helpful.

Top Bottom