Explanation for slow wobble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I was going to ask about an explanation for a slow speed no hands wobble. Until I checked my frame thoroughly to find the down tube had snapped completely. Not all the way through but near enough. I thought the grinding noise was either a pedal, bottom bracket, or the headset but no - it turned out to be the frame eating itself..

It's a three year old Marin aluminium hybrid. I'm very surprised.

chriss2.0

EEP! imagine if it gave way miles from home! YEEESH!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Bad weld? Bad Aluminum Tubing? I would ask someone who does non-ferrous welding, and see if it can be repaired. Very sorry to hear that about a Marin Frame.

OP
OP
T

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I've had a look through my emails, and got my one year after purchase cyclescheme bill in August 2011, so it is 37 months old. The Marin warranty on frames is 36 months, of course. I'll roll it round to the bike shop this evening to see what they say.

I don't know if you can see this picture

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....499400000578.296036.561920578&type=1&theater

but yes, it might be a bad weld. The break starts at a weld joining a big 'lug' on the underside of the down tube to the headset.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Excellent! Pays to buy quality. Nice to see them stand behind their work, even when unfortunate things happen.

Top Bottom