Exposure Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I`m looking at getting something tough and durable for a lot of unlit winter commuting. I`ve made do with the Chinese cree lights for the last 4-5 years and have had enough of repairing them and re-building the battery packs.

I`ve heard some good feedback about Exposure headlights, but not enough to convince me to spend £250 ish on one, so, are they worth the money? Would be grateful for any input here. Also, if it helps, I was looking at the "Race 10" which is the current model.

If these are a no-no, which ones are best? I`m talking 150 miles/week of unlit commuting during the autumn/winter.

Thanks guys:okay:

Last edited by a moderator:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
As a member who is chinese - Im not sure if i should feel offended :tongue:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
On a side note - to save you from cheap inferior chinese made products - Evans have quite a few ex-demo exposure lights that have been priced down a fair bit. I had a gander at their site yesterday so there are a few good deals to be had if you dont mind some minor cosmetic damage or accessories missing etc etc.

oldstrath

Über Member
For on road commuting (I do about 25 miles a day, almost all unlit) the BM Ixon Premium is the best light I've found. Less than half the price of the Race 10, and better designed for the purpose. Build quality isn't as good, but it's adequate.

Good lights, robust and the company offers good support

The Ixus above is my preferred light though as the Exposure has the classic issue of an unfocussed, unfiltered full beam shape

Got a couple of Exposure lights.

Splashed out on a Strada and it's brilliant for dark commutes,lights up the road well and don't get any flashes from oncoming traffic(it is pointed down slightly;nice remote mode switch too.The only downside is it is a bit bulky.

Also have a TraceR rear which did develop a fault(internals were loose in the body and it stopped charging but was repaired under warrenty by Exposure(via Sigma sport where I purchased it from).

I augment these with my old Cat-Eye Volt 300 and some Tau lights which are cheap from AlpKit.

Another person with a Strada here, I also have a rather ancient Joystick ( 6 years old) the on/off button gave up, I sent it to Exposure fixed it for 25 quid. I have tried cheap crees , I bought 2, within a month I was down to 1 and that barely lasted 30 minutes on full power.So I bought a Strada. The old adage buy cheap, buy twice comes to mind but with the price of exposures you could buy cheap 5 times over or more . However for peace of mind and reliability I consider it worth it, I have dropped the joystick many many times and it always works and used both in monsoon conditions. People without 250 quid to spend on a Strada equivalent may not consider it worth it.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Thanks for the input everybody:okay:

GentlyBenevolent

I have the Flash and Flare combo pack from a while back. I had issues with the plastic of the lens cap not fitting the thread of the metal bodies very well, and arriving with small stress cracks in them. Tried to contact Exposure, never got any reply. They have worked for a year before getting increasingly intermittent due to corrosion on the contacts - the weather sealing doesn't seem that great. I won't be buying anything else from them.

oldstrath

Über Member
The other good thing about BuMM is their customer service. I managed to break mine (entirely my fault, didn't clip it into the mount properly). They sent a replacement essentially for the price of postage.

zigzag

Veteran
i've used (and still use) toro, sirius, trace/tracer and blaze - all very well made and performing flawlessly. one improvement i'd welcome on all their lights is a standard micro-usb charging port, like on a trace(r), just for the convenience.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

i've used (and still use) toro, sirius, trace/tracer and blaze - all very well made and performing flawlessly. one improvement i'd welcome on all their lights is a standard micro-usb charging port, like on a trace(r), just for the convenience.
Are they all different then?

Top Bottom