Expressions your mum and dad used to use ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Grandad used to say 'Children should be seen and not heard'. I only half understood the meaning at the time.
He also used to say, 'I don't go out to stop in.' This usually meant he would rather go to the pub then drop in on granny's friends and relations.
He used to say our jokes were 'corny'. Him and gran used the word 'barmy' a lot.

Red17

Veteran
Couple from my grandmother

'your neither use nor ornament"

and

,"I've seen fewer mites in cheese," when we were prevarication about doing something

classic33

Leg End Member
My dad was always “going to see a man about a dog” when ever I asked where he was going.

And if I asked what we had for dinner it was alway “bread and pull it”. Did anyone else ever hear that one?
Did it mean don't go easy on the bread?

cycling_eejit

Über Member
Some I remember my mother regularly using --

Make sure you’ve clean underwear on in case you get hit by a car.

Right, that's it, I'm getting the wooden spoon.

Will ye stop caffling back there or ye'll make me crash the car.

You're making a show of us.

The dead arose and appeared to many.

I was keeping those biscuits for visitors.

classic33

Leg End Member
Some I remember my mother regularly using --

Make sure you’ve clean underwear on in case you get hit by a car.

Right, that's it, I'm getting the wooden spoon.

Will ye stop caffling back there or ye'll make me crash the car.

You're making a show of us.

The dead arose and appeared to many.

I was keeping those biscuits for visitors.
Were you an accident prone kid who didn't listen, could never keep quiet in the backseat, who just happened to act the fool, and were late getting up?

classic33

Leg End Member
Actually the underwear one was strange, it was as if the greatest shame you could bring on the family was ending up in hospital and having the doctors and nurses find you have dirty jocks on. The injury that you may have suffered was a secondary concern.
Were you ever asked if you'd washed your feet and put clean socks on, before you went out.

My dad used many of the phrases already mentioned plus this one when I was misbehaving, "..stop that or I'll rip your arm off and smack you with the soggy end."
Both parents seemed to have "I want doesn't get" as a favourite ready for almost any request.

Top Bottom