Extended pub hours ..... tackling the piss heads - arrggghhh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
in my experience the only times it goes wrong is when they see/hear you too late and do something silly, ok if they never see you natch

and stepping through traffic, obviously, and the classic spin on their heel and step out into the road

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tynan said:
fair points then, do people hear a whistle and work out what's happening wuicl enough

The whistle is more for people who want to play silly buggers, tbh (unused as yet). It does seem to stop dogs in their tracks too, however.

I agree with Jacomus' approach of expecting people to do daft (as opposed to malicious) things and riding accordingly. My own approach so far has been to offer a "Stay left/right please" or "Stay there please" if it looks like they're unsure where to be on the path. I've yelled "BIKE" once, when a girl listening to an iPOD stepped out in front of me (one of the experiences that coloured my opinion of bike bells, as I'd rung the damned thing several times immediately prior to that).

Trillian

i've been pinned by a car when on the road bike, they refused to move to let me out, but then found they couldn't go backwards to get out nor could they manage forwards so forced me to move.

60's road bikes have a lovely light bracket on the forks don't they? :biggrin:

i've had drunk people put their feet out right in front of me while shouting 'ragh'
they didn't give me enough time to react, so i ended up riding over their foot (was on the mtb)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Whistle? Don't bother, just get an airzound. I rarely use it on pedestrians because it's such overkill, but on the odd occasion I do, you can assume the
pedestrian will leap high enough that you can safely ride beneath them before they land again.

nilling

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
Next time it happens, they're getting the Fox 40 in answer.

Argh...the Fox40 - a classic. Used these whistles when I was an American Football official. No player could ever claim not to have heard it! :biggrin:

Not sure I'd want to be scrambling for a whistle though whilst riding :evil:

yenrod

snapper_37 said:
Haven't done Saturday OT for a long time so snatched the chance today to get some more pennies.

As I was riding to work, I noticed lots of 'wobbly' blokes, increasing as I got towards the town centre. 2 of them decided it would be fun to 'pretend' to jump in front of me shouting BOO (as if I hadn't seen them yawn). Another 1 could hardly stand and was wavering precariously, about to fall into the gutter. And to top it all, a group of about 5 - 6 thought it really funny to try and smack my back side as I went past.

It was all a bit intimidating and 6.15 in the morning!!! :biggrin::angry:

I seen some girl dressed in a blue glittery squinned dress pattened tights and high heels on Sunday afternoon..obviously an allnighter ! :biggrin:

People who do this as in go out and get pissed and that week in week out'..only lead pretty bad lives and have no solid friends....

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
nilling said:
Not sure I'd want to be scrambling for a whistle though whilst riding :biggrin:

Mine's in a small pocket on one of the shoulder straps of my rucksack - easy enough to get to, but I need to anticipate a little.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you really want a quick access whistle, you need an ice hockey referee whistle as it clips over two fingers.

I'm not sure I would bother, personally.
Whistle.gif

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
BentMikey said:

I'm starting to reach the same conclusion :biggrin:

Shouting/talking is the preferred option for me - I don't think bells work terribly well, and the 'zound seems a little over the top (using all my bottle cage bosses, and I'm carrying quite a few accessories on the frame already in any case).

I'm hanging on to the whistle though, for now - if nothing else, it works very well at stopping bike chasing dogs long enough to outdistance them. I wish I'd had one in France, where every farm seemed to have a bike hating pooch running free :biggrin:

CotterPin

I was cycling to work a few months ago with a colleague and we became aware of a whistle occasionally being blown somewhere - this is in the middle of the City of London. We couldn't work out where it was coming from but thought it may be a cyclist. However none appeared to have a whistle.

One of them, though, was wearing a face mask and we came to the conclusion, mainly by a process of elimination, that he was the one with the whistle permanently in his mouth and behind the mask. :biggrin:

Pretty darn dodgey I would have thought but there you go.

spindrift

I cycle through Borough market at 7am, the pubs there have a market licence and open at 6am.

I look in the window, see the fire roaring, fruit machines flashing, beer pumps gleaming, and sometimes think:

Well, i could call in sick....

Arch

Married to Night Train
BentMikey said:
If you really want a quick access whistle, you need an ice hockey referee whistle as it clips over two fingers.

Whistle.gif

Or just have one implanted in your throat, bionic man style?:biggrin::sad:

Tynan

Veteran
ah yes, a day out at Lords last year started with the full on english in that pub under Smithfield, dunno, 8ish I think, and lovely it was too, all the meats esp devilled kidneys

and a pint of Guiness or three felt very natural indeed

yenrod said:
I seen some girl dressed in a blue glittery squinned dress pattened tights and high heels on Sunday afternoon..obviously an allnighter ! :biggrin:

the bitch, i even gave her a fiver for a taxi! ;)

yenrod said:
I seen some girl dressed in a blue glittery squinned dress pattened tights and high heels on Sunday afternoon..obviously an allnighter ! :rolleyes:

People who do this as in go out and get pissed and that week in week out'..only lead pretty bad lives and have no solid friends....

With great respect Yenners, who are you to say this? I appreciate not everyone likes a drink, but I was pretty wobbly myself after a ten pint pub crawl round Bangor on Saturday night, and I have plenty of solid friends and a pretty good life.

Top Bottom