Extending/lengthening the steerer tube on a Defy carbon. Can it be done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Re-opening an old subject before I sell my Defy.
There was a thread going back many years on this but hey ho technology moves on.
The steerer on Giant carbon is 1 1/4". To my knowledge the only extenders available are to suit 1 1/8"......is this correct?
Two articles I read by "experts" say carbon steerers should never be extended (for several safety reasons).
What puzzles me is that even mid priced ally frames now boast carbon forks (i assume carbon forks = carbon steerer??).
So........
With so many carbon forks fitted I am wondering
A) are carbon steerer extensions now
available?
B) specifically is there a 1 1/4" extender available.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, no no.

Best option if someone needs a higher set of bars is a stem with a higher angle so it rises the bars.

Most alloy frames do have carbon forks as alloy forks are somewhat stiff and uncomfortable compared to carbon. You can get carbon forks quite cheaply these days.

robgul

Legendary Member
Having just built up a new carbon bike with carbon steerer the recommendation was no more than about 50mm of spacers - more than that get a bigger frame. I guess it's the leverage/force of the stem on the length of steerer above the upper headset bearings that is the concern.

Rob

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yep. SJS Cycles have a good range of forks.
So (showing my ignorance) assuming it wasnt cost prohibitive........how much height could I feasibly add?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How much are you looking for. An inch or two easily with an alloy steerer. @YellowSaddle could advise if this would be safe - I assume you want a more upright position ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
How much are you looking for. An inch or two easily with an alloy steerer. @YellowSaddle could advise if this would be safe - I assume you want a more upright position ?
Yes.....got arthritis (or something similar) in my neck/shoulder area. Its got to the point I am struggling after 20/25 miles.
I have been looking into selling and getting a flat bar eg a Cannondale Quick or a Sirrus.
Will be going to a physio this week but not hopeful.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yes.....got arthritis (or something similar) in my neck/shoulder area. Its got to the point I am struggling after 20/25 miles.
I have been looking into selling and getting a flat bar eg a Cannondale Quick or a Sirrus.
Will be going to a physio this week but not hopeful.
I've a Sirrus. I agree with @fossyant regarding bar ends

Top Bottom