Extending/lengthening the steerer tube on a Defy carbon. Can it be done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
As fossyant suggested what about higher angle stem ? I swapped out a 6 degree one for a 17 degree one at little cost but gave me the comfort in the neck and shoulders I craved. OK, so the 17 degree does`nt look as cool but cool does not come in to it when talking about comfort. It gave me about a 17mm rise in height and 9mm less reach.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Something like this might be a good idea - rises and shortens the effective length of the stem

https://www.merlincycles.com/ritche...liateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&source=PHG

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
This is what I used. I thought that for the money it was worth trying and it was. There did`nt seem to be many stems of 17degrees about at a reasonable cost, but you need 1" 1/4 steerer.

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
If you go for the flipping the stem option,the giant one is +- 8 degrees,I imagine you would need an inch and a quarter one..not many options out there and the giant seems to be the biggest flippable one,degree wise.

Proto

Legendary Member
How about getting a framebuilder to make you a stem? Plenty of them will do this. Any angle and length you want.

Something like this, but painted ( !) and angle of your choice:

3440B567-19B0-4F81-9CBB-C7AFBAFBCA5D.jpeg

si_c

Guru
A stem riser should do the job, just fits over the existing spacers and then the stem clamps to that.

I can almost guarantee that the forks are tapered 1 1/8 top to 1 1/4 bottom, so the linked stem should fit. Any other of course also fine as well as a riser stem.

Edit : just ignore me, I'm probably wrong.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
shorter angled stem shouldgive you a more upright position also i dont know your set up but i used to suffer badly with numb hands and it turned out iwas to high and to far foward on the saddle, im only talking 5 mm down and 5 mm back unweighted my arms enough so i could ride comfortably

Top Bottom