Extra wide tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mart79

Hi guys,
Is there much difference between an extra wide tyre and the standard size tyres found on most mountain bikes.
I bought a Carrera Vendetta bike on the cycle2work scheme back in January, I didn’t realise until I picked it up beginning of Feb, (after recovering from COVID-19) that i had in fact ordered a bike with extra wide tyres. I love the bike, but in hiensight I wish I’d bought one with narrower tyres. I do go off road but also use the bike to commute to and from work. But does the extra wide tyre result in extra effort to get going? Would I benefit better with a thinner tyre/wheel.
Obviously a standard size wheel/tyre would look odd on the wider frame vendetta so probably have to sell for what I can get for it. And buy another more suitable.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What is the size of your tyres? Even regular MTB tyres are going to be hard work on the road. How wide are the rims?
I should put something like Schwalbe Marathons on which are semi slick so you will gain some advantage on the road, plus they won’t be so heavy.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-l...inal-hs420-tyre-275-x-165-inch-44584/?geoc=GH

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Recently got a pair of B'twin (Decathlon) all terrain dry tyres 26 x 2.0. They have knobbly bits, but smaller than regular MTB tyres. They seem a good, cheap compromise.
Snap, I also got some, mainly because they were the only new 26” tyres I could get here. Roll quite well but I’ll have to see how puncture resistance rates.
The OP needs 27.5, dont know if available in that size.

OP
OP
M

Mart79

Wouldn’t the bike look quite odd with a narrower set of tyres on there, I assumed the suspension folks and rear frame are slightly wider than a standard bike to accommodate the wider tyre?

the tyre size currently on at 27.5x2.8

Snap, I also got some, mainly because they were the only new 26” tyres I could get here. Roll quite well but I’ll have to see how puncture resistance rates.
Over this way, they only cost a fiver GBP, being as they're made here I guess. Doubt there's much puncture resistance, but then again I've used other brands that claim more resistance, but the puncture fairy just don't listen :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've got a plus tyred bike with 27.5 x 2.8 tyres according to the spec. If you are MTBing on it then they are pretty good size, grippy. But if you are just pottering about on tracks, canal and road, they are a bit overkill. You can go smaller width.

What's your use like

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That’s down to you @Mart79 Looks like the fork is standard width. The bike isn’t the best choice for commuting but if you want to stick with it the above are your best options.

OP
OP
M

Mart79

No I didn’t really read the specifications when I ordered, my mistake entirely. As I said I would of preferred something with narrower tyres. Maybe the vengeance (in my defence I think they were out of stock at the time) However I am happy with the bike. Biggest issue I have with the bike is the wheels don’t fit in the bike stands at work.

With the wider rims, what is the smallest width tyre I can put on it. I assume I can’t go too narrow and don’t want a tyre that will look odd on the wider rim wheel.

I have been using it over the last week to go to and from work, and it does ride really well over the bumpy lack of road tax investment roads. But I do use it to go off road as well.

my other problem is, I’m so unfit, and out of shape, my energy levels are zapped pretty quickly.

weareHKR

I've got the Continental Double Fighter III on my Hybrid.
Its designnd for urban use. It rolls easily and quietly on asphalt. Its shoulder lugs keep it on track on tow paths and gravel roads, I'm pleased with them, just keep off the wet sticky mud!
Think the available size for your steed is 27.5 x 2.0
They should look ok once you get the 2.8 out you head, probably could sell those on a local fb page!

Top Bottom