Extreme cycle trips ideas...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Three peaks challenge ... on mountain bikes. :eek:
(Push, carry and sometimes cycle :whistle:).

fimm

Veteran
I suspect this isn't extreme enough, but a trans-Scotland Coast to Coast on mountain bike? Kyle of Lochalsh - Glen Lichd - Glen Affric - not sure how to do this bit, but get to Fort Augustus - Corrieyarrack Pass - Glen Feshie - Minigaig Pass - Blair Atholl - Glen Tilt - Linn of Dee - easy run down the River Dee to Aberdeen. Or you could try and go over the Lairig Ghru and down to Linn of Dee that way.

This is very vague and off the top of my head. I'm assuing you're capable of looking at maps!!!

Hi new to this site. But looking for some inspiration for a cycle challenge.

My friends and I are looking for a cycle route which is extremely challenging and also a small adventure.. we've got 6 days and are happy to cycle between 80-120km per day.

What we don't want are the obvious routes London to Paris etc... In the past we've cycled over the high Atlas mts. Happy either on road bikes or mountain bikes probably looking to travel June July time. At the moment we are thinking Oslo to Stockholm.. Which has the distance but not the 'extreme' that we're looking for.

Any ideas welcome

Thanks

AC

Oslo to Stockholm would be boring. After you enter Sweden you will not see much but trees and lakes, tarmac and the sky. I loved Sweden, but the trees got to me (just see my journal). We had 6 weeks of it and were very glad of the mountians when they arrived.

Try starting at Kirkenes in Northern Norway, go out to Grense Jackobselv on the Barent's Sea/Russian/Norwegian border, then head back into Norway up to Meeham on the most northerly mainland part of Norway, ferry across to Honningsvag, then cycle from North Cape to Alta and take the plane back. remote, hostile, loads of climbing and includes an undersea tunnel 7km long at a depth of 212m and you have to dodge reindeer and mountain lemmings all of the way. Food is scarce so you have to carry most of what you wil need. Some of the most remote parts of Norway, seasonal roads, tundra, perma frost area and some fantastic scenery if the weather is good. You will get 24 hour daylight so can see the midnight sun and have great quiet roads and really friendly people. Loved the place and happily go back - just camp wild as much as possible to keep the costs down. Norway is rather expensive, but the scenery more than makes up for it. Also there is the bale out or travel further options if the distance is not far enough becuase you can use the Huritgruten ferry to get from A to B and get back to your flights from Alta.

toroddf

Trondheim to Bergen (Norway) over Molde, Åndalsnes, Geiranger, Stryn and Lavik. Hard route.

Stockholm to Oslo is dead boring and flat as in south-east England. Forget it if you are looking for a challenge.

amaferanga

Veteran
6 days isn't really much so you need somewhere that's interesting straight form the airport. I know there's offroad stuff in the UK and Europe, but I'd struggle to find anything in Europe an adventure (but maybe that's just because I've been about a bit on my bike and had some proper adventures in far flung places). I don't think you'll find much to beat Morocco within a few hours of the UK. You could go back and head for the desert instead of the mountains this time, but even that would be pushing it in just 6 days. If you had double the time then the possibilities would be almost endless - Africa, Middle East, India, etc.

Why not forget about the adventure and go for something really challenging like a LEJOG in 5 or 6 days?

Top Bottom