Extreme Drafting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddie

Mario Cippolini got in trouble for doing this on the Italian Motorway network!

byegad

Legendary Member
Nutter! A touch on the lorry brakes and he's thrown into the air then sliding along the road with a wrecked front wheel.

RedRider

Pulling through
2587915003_bff16306a7_o.jpg

"I declared that I could follow a railroad train and that there was not a locomotive built which could get away from me. I immediately became the laughing stock of the world."

I love the story of original drafter Charles 'Mile a Minute' Murphy who sucked a steamtrain into legend.

Engineer Sam Booth and Murphy knew what they had to do. Booth was to gather enough momentum so that when he reached the start a mile away he would be going 60 mph or better. He was to hold the speed over the measured mile, then apply the brakes gently so that Murphy (if he was still with him) would not crash against the coach. Murphy knew he had to ride the center 10-inch plank and keep his eyes on a vertical strip of white on the car.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes and he damn nearly came to grief as he had to climb onto the back of train before the planks ran out. He barely made it.

Crankarm

Guru
He should be locked up. Black and red kit with white shoes is a big no-no.

RedRider

Pulling through
[QUOTE 2005515, member: 9609"]He rode at 60mph and probably only being able to see several feet in front on a 10" wide plank, presumably with railway sleepers at each side that would destroy bike and man in seconds of any deviation - amazing stuff.[/quote]
A real daredevil. If someone's not editing a collection of cycling derring-do with this as the centre-piece then they should be.

Top Bottom