Extreme fatigue, loss of appetite, legs like lead......cannot find the cause.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It'd work out the cheaper option over bottled water.
And much better for the environment 👍

Lovacott

Über Member
Good points
We have recently been using bottled water only for consumption but maybe a decent filter would be better.
We use a counter top jug filter because most of the water we drink is in the form of cups of tea or bottles of water which we bottle up ourselves.

Shop bought bottled water can be pretty substandard compared to unfiltered tap water but (as far as I am concerned) filtered UK tap water is a world beater.

When I was working in the water supply industry in London, we had the worlds most advanced drinking water treatment process and regularly showed around top bods from overseas companies.

I never buy bottled water because it is a criminal waste of energy. Putting spring water into a plastic bottle and then hauling it for hundreds of miles on a diesel truck? You can get better out of the tap in your kitchen for a tiny fraction of the price.

byegad

Legendary Member
I had 7 months off work in the 1980s. Eventually it transpired I'd recently had Epstein-Barr aka glandular fever. They only found the E-B antibodies in my bloods after I'd crawled back to work. It took me a good two years to be anywhere near back to normal and even now I occasionally, as in once every year or two, have sudden unexplained fatigue which can last a couple of hours or a few days.

Salar

A fish out of water
We use a counter top jug filter because most of the water we drink is in the form of cups of tea or bottles of water which we bottle up ourselves.

What jug filter would you recommend, I drink lots of water but I can't convince my better half to do the same, perhaps a filter might convince her.

classic33

Leg End Member
What jug filter would you recommend, I drink lots of water but I can't convince my better half to do the same, perhaps a filter might convince her.
As per Vickster's post.

Saintsbury's have some at half price at present, if you're buying one.

Lovacott

Über Member
I use a Brita model jug but most manufacturers offer the same things.

If I make a cup of tea without using the filter, I get a scum ring. If I make it with the Brita water, there is no scum ring.

The best way to convince your other half to get off the pre bottled water is to look at the multitude of comparison tests which have been carried out between the two. Even without using a filter, I'd still 100% go for tap water over bottled.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Dave7 says they had a blood test...perhaps he means antibody rather than active disease?
He says they were ill in December, Covid wasn’t here then. Perhaps he was Christmas shopping in Wuhan?
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest it was but no one knew what to look for. My wife is a retired RCN, RCM and highly experienced health care professional. If she hears someone talk what she considers health nonsense her first response will be show me the peer reviewed evidence. Please keep this in mind.

Mrs P is 100% convinced she had Covid-19 in late December/early January. She had all the symptoms in the right order. In 42 years I have never seen her so ill. It took her till late May to recover. Our next door neighbors, both sides, one an equally qualified and retired health care professional, were both equally ill.

I know other people locally who have been told by our GP they currently have symptoms of those who have had and recovered from Covid-19. All were very seriously ill at the turn of the year.

I'm convinced it was here long before the NHS knew what to look for.

Lovacott

Über Member
I'm convinced it was here long before the NHS knew what to look for.
We went up to London on the train to see Arsenal V Everton on 23rd February and the boy (18) had a really bad week after that. High temperature, persistent cough etc.

Judging by the infection and death rate curves, this thing must have been with us since last November at the very latest.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
And it was there before Wuhan and anywhere else too?
Has she had an antibody test?
I didn't say it was here before Wuhan which I believe goes back to mid-November.

No, she hasn't had an anti-body test though would jump at the opportunity. As we understand it these are only available to certain workers though I have read one can go private.

I understand your scepticism. When a highly experienced and qualified health professional with strong opinions on peer reviewed evidence who I've known for 42 years tells me she is convinced I believe it.

Add to this many people I know have been told by GPs they have post Covid-19 symptoms. There is no reason for a GP to make such statements unless they believe the symptoms to be typical.

I feel there is no evidence of when the virus arrived in the UK and with modern travel it's quite possible it arrived sometime before cases were identified.

tyred

Legendary Member
I (thankfully) only had proper 'flu once in my life. I was 20 at the time and it took me about six months to fully recover. I had no energy whatsoever. I was still at college and ever Thursday morning I had a maths lecture on the 3rd floor of the college building. I used to go up the stairs 2 at a time. After the 'flu I had to stop to get my breath back several times. I remember trying to help my Dad change a wheel on the lorry and basically collapsing into a sweating heap. I would come home from college and just collapse into bed. The GP did endless bloodtests but nothing showed up but in time I returned to normal. It can take a long time to recover from these things.

Lovacott

Über Member
I (thankfully) only had proper 'flu once in my life. I was 20 at the time and it took me about six months to fully recover.
Two years ago I could have claimed the same (only had it once when I was 20 and I was knackered for months after).

Then, on Christmas day evening 2018, I suddenly felt very cold (down to the bones). I had a weird pain in my back and it reminded me of when I'd had the flu all those years before.

I made my apologies and went off to sleep in the spare room. I pretty much stayed there until new years day. No doctors, no special medicines, (just Panadol).

I was back at work the next day with just a little bit of mild fatigue which cleared after a few days.

When I was 20 and got the Flu, I was living at home and my mum took me to the doctors on day three and I was prescribed antibiotics. I took the whole course. I was fatigued for a good six months after that.

I can only assume that the antibiotics contributed to the fatigue? There is a lot of evidence today that antibiotics clear out your gut flora which is an essential part of your digestive system. Because modern western diets are so sanitised (we boil and burn everything), the gut flora balance takes a long time to recover.

I'm a lot more mindful of what I eat nowadays compared to when I was 20 (pie and chips,chicken and chips, fish and chips,burger and chips).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I (thankfully) only had proper 'flu once in my life.
Me too... Feeling so ill that I felt like I might die, and having to crawl to the bathroom to see whether projectile vomiting or the latest dose of the squits was going to win the race! Then having to crawl to the table with the phone on and pull it down by its cord because I didn't have the strength to stand to phone in sick...

Lovacott

Über Member
Me too... Feeling so ill that I felt like I might die, and having to crawl to the bathroom to see whether projectile vomiting or the latest dose of the squits was going to win the race! Then having to crawl to the table with the phone on and pull it down by its cord because I didn't have the strength to stand to phone in sick...
On the two occasions that I had "proper flu", the symptoms were pretty much the same.

Started the day feeling 100% then ended the day feeling like I'd been poisoned and kicked in the kidneys.

When I get colds, I usually get a couple of days notice but with the flu, it just hits you.

You cycle from boiling hot to freezing cold every hour or so and the nightmares could be turned into Hollywood blockbusters (if only you could remember them).

Colds and flu are nothing like each other (in my experience). Colds are long and drawn out, flu is a short sharp shock.

Top Bottom