'Eye watering' roadie saddle advice...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a relatively recent returnee to cycling, I found all saddles bloomin' uncomfortable to begin with, and tried several different shapes and sizes.

Eventually settled on a Madison Flux, which has already been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Still found it less than perfect to begin with, but with more miles has come comfort. Basically, my backside has toughened up....

Persevere!

Best wishes.....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Before spending money on a new saddle do check you've got it set up right. For most male riders this means up at the nose by a few degrees.
But for this particular male rider, that results in total genital numbness within 5 minutes! I have my Arione saddles with the nose pretty much level, which corresponds to a slight drop from the rear of the saddle.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
But for this particular male rider, that results in total genital numbness within 5 minutes! I have my Arione saddles with the nose pretty much level, which corresponds to a slight drop from the rear of the saddle.

After the first time out on my current saddle I set it with a spirit level so that I knew it was flat!

sayek1

Just got back from a 6 day 600mile trip using the Charge Spoon - saddle was absolutely fine, but I agree with the "tilt" comments - I need mine down by a couple of degrees at the front to avoid numbness.

Had previously used the "included" saddles from Boardman & Verenti which were both awful. Then tried a more expensive Selle but finally went on the recommendation of others for the Charge. Well worth the £20. I now have them on both my road bikes.

ColinJ

After the first time out on my current saddle I set it with a spirit level so that I knew it was flat!
Two points about that ...

1. Make sure that the ground below the bike is level first, for obvious reasons!
  2. What is 'level'? If you use a spirit level on an Arione saddle, the nose of the saddle rises up from the centre. You are only levelling the ends. That corresponds to Globalti's nose up suggestion and it cripples me. Here's how I have mine:
fizik-arione-saddle-basso-close-up.jpg

byegad

Legendary Member
I suffered for 1000 miles on a B17 and changed to a Specialized Body Geometry that was comfortable from day one until I sold the bike 10000 miles later.

We are all different so all you can do is try some.

ColinJ

I suffered for 1000 miles on a B17 and changed to a Specialized Body Geometry that was comfortable from day one until I sold the bike 10000 miles later.
You've just reminded me - I have a new one on my MTB and rather like it. I'm going to swap it for that Arione ready for Sunday's forum ride. (I find the Arione suits me when I'm slim but it hasn't felt so comfortable since I put on weight. A combination of a fatter bum and more weight on it! :blush:)

OP
OP
Cosmicned

Cosmicned

Thanks very much again for all the advice guys- installed the Charge Spoon saddle & I'm pleased to report this morning's commute was the most comfortable & fastest yet... even down on the drops against a nasty headwind my...cough... erm... 'bolleaux' (French spelling...:biggrin:) that previously caused much 'eye-watering' were nice and erm... well you get the idea... Cheers! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Top Bottom