'Eye watering' roadie saddle advice...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cosmicned

Recently getting back (and enjoying immensely) on a road bike (Boardman Comp) loving the fit, geometry etc... the saddle however is eye-wateringly un-comfortable... despite padded shorts etc... Any advice on a good saddle that'll absorb a bit of road vibration...? (I tried a road gel saddle & was even worse!)... I realise we're erm... all anatomically different but any advice for a newbie roadie would be appreciated muchly...

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Two common suggestions are the Charge Spoon or Madison Flux - functionally identical and made, so I'm told, in the same factory. I use a Flux and have been doing rides of 80+ miles without resorting to padded shorts.
The best advice I've found is on the Surly blog: "The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt." It must be true - I can't recall ever being saddlesore before I bought a car.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm a fan of the Brooks. I have the B17 Narrow and ride for long distances on it without any issues. I have heard good stories about the Spoon though. I've not heard anyone who cycles more than a couple of miles say anything good about gel saddles though.

corshamjim

Unfortunately it can take a little experimentation before you will find a saddle you really like. The one I'm liking at the moment is a Bioflex - so far ok for up to 50 miles or so - I'll be giving it a longer test later this year. I get on ok with Brooks saddles and find them comfortable from day 1, but don't like the way the black rubs off on to my trousers. Obviously if you wear black trousers as I suppose most do then it's not a problem.

Padded shorts (or padded undershorts) are a good idea for longer rides.

There is no universal answer, just suggestions from people who've found a particular saddle comfortable. That said the Charge Spoon is about as close to universally liked as is possible and is only cheap so worth trying. I've got two of them now.

Thing to look for when choosing a saddle is to examine what about the saddle it is you don't like now. Do you go numb, (maybe a padding issue, too little too much, is one part of your anatomy suffering more than another, look at saddle shape and saddle width. Some people like curved saddles, others flatter with a channel etc..... If you examine the source of the discomfort now, it'll save you a lot of money swopping out lots of saddles trying to find an answer.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Before spending money on a new saddle do check you've got it set up right. For most male riders this means up at the nose by a few degrees. Next check the height and then the fore and aft adjustment. All three adjustments will affect comfort.

As mentioned above lots of riders are going over to the Charge Spoon or for a more minimal version, the Charge Knife. I have one of these and find it extremely comfy; it is quite cupped in shape compared to others I've tried. Take care to get the seatpost height right if you fit a new saddle; not all saddles are the same height above the rails. Charge saddles are quite low on their rails so you'll need to raise the seatpost a little to get the saddle height right.

If road vibration is a problem consider splashing out on a carbon seatpost. You can get good ones here: http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=47&

Davidc

Guru
Welcome to CC, Cosmicned. I find most saddles excruciatingly uncomfortable, but do know of two which my backside accepts well, both already mentioned.

Can I suggest you do a search on the forum's search box up in the top right hand corner? - There are an awful lot of <which saddle> threads!

Perhaps it's time saddles got the same as helmets - their own forum!

tyred

Legendary Member
Just one thing before you go and spend £££££s. I'd echo about checking the setup but also, how long have you been riding? If this is your first bike in a long time, it may need a little time for your rear end to get used to riding a cycle again.

Selle San Marco Rolls is an old favourite - they are always in big demand on eBay which is a sure sign.

OP
OP
Cosmicned

Cosmicned

Guys- i really appreciate the quick & very useful responses- what a cool forum this is! Given the advice I went for a Charge Spoon on eBay this morning... cheap as chips & not an issue if it doesn't do the job... but I also think (as advised) I need to do burn more miles to harden up the 'ol derrière ... muchos appreciato's...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Cosmicned - heed the words of Mr. Global, above. It's worth taking endless hours adjusting the saddle height and attitude. Move it up (or down) a little at a time.

In a general way you've got to spread your weight between bars, pedals and saddle. A lot of us put far too much weight on the saddle.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Is saddle shape a reflection of whether its intended for men or women?
smile.gif
(see pic)

Attachments

• spoon.jpg
    spoon.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
Cosmicned

Cosmicned

Cosmicned - heed the words of Mr. Global, above. It's worth taking endless hours adjusting the saddle height and attitude. Move it up (or down) a little at a time.

In a general way you've got to spread your weight between bars, pedals and saddle. A lot of us put far too much weight on the saddle.

Cheers for that & duly noted- after getting back on a 'proper' roadie after 25 years - I've discovered much has improved both in bike technology (to say the least) & understanding what makes a bike 'fit properly... so endless hours of fun have already ensued tweaking the crap out of my bike... hence my plea for help to sort out my perpetual 'wince' from saddle discomfort... however everything else about my roadie (speed, general comfort, fit etc...) has convinced me I made a mistake buying a Hybrid assuming it would be better for commuting... well maybe I'll keep it for hand to hand combat in the winter weather...:thumbsup:

Top Bottom