pair of crumblies looking for saddle recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baaa

My wife and I, both aging and sedentary decided to push the boat out yesterday, pump up the tyres on our basic Brompton bikes (bought 25 years ago) and go on a very short ride. Considering how short, we both had discomfort subsequently, she in the coccyx, me in the sit-bones. Any saddle recommendations for our respective sensitivies around the £30-£70 mark would be most welcome!

Many thanks....

chris-suffolk

Given that you've not cycled for some time, I'd persist for a while and see if it improves. It can take many trips and miles to build up sensitive areas, and I'm not surprised at some pain after just one ride. Keep at it for a while and see if things improve.

This ^^^

If your legs aren't used to cycling, they get tired quickly, and as a result, you will tend to put more weight onto the saddle. So the tireder you get... Hence the "ouch" as a bike saddle isn't really designed to take much weight. It's intended as more of a perch, as your body weight should be distributed evenly across all contact points.

The above advice is good. Get some decent bike time first, and then see where it takes you.

Although do make sure that the saddles are at the right height. If they're set too low, then that's another reason for the "ouch" - when sat on the saddle, your leg should be almost fully extended when the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke.

And a caveat. Saddles (just like shorts and sports bras) are extremely personal, and what works for one person might not necessarily work for another. As a female member of the species, I can't vouch for gents saddles, but if your wife still has comfort issues after getting some good bike time in, then something like a Charge Ladle or a Madison Leia (they are essentially the same saddle) might well be worth a punt as they are inexpensive and tend to suit most bums. I have two Ladles and a Leia fitted to my bikes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
1655953150720.png

Tenkaykev

Guru
If you do decide to replace your saddles you'll probably be able to sell the Brompton ones second hand so don't just bin them.

That’s true, I just sold my B17 as I just couldn’t get on with it. I have a C17 on another bike and it’s wonderfully comfortable.🤔
I got a very good price for the B17.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
a) what saddles are on at the moment?
b) good advice in post #2 & #3 re read it
c) sit bone pain not concerning that should go as you get more used to it, at least the saddle is touching in the right place.
d) coccyx pain seems odd.
e) women generally need a wider saddle then men, different pelvic structure and all that, so if you have matching saddles you may need to look at alternatives for mrs baaa.
f) if they have dried out old leather Brooks saddles on them, it may take some decades to break them in, some love them, some never get on with them. In that case charge spoon (gents) and charge ladle (ladies) are relatively cheap and "fit most bums" options as a starting point.

Do you also bear in mind that short rides in some ways are the worst of all worlds.

Your body goes into total shock - like wtf is happening here !!! - your breathing labours, your legs don't feel right, etc - After about 20-30 minutes it settles down and you get a few nice miles - before fatigue sets in. But if you cut off after 20 minutes or so - you are only doing the worst miles.

As others have said I wouldn't rush to change the saddle - make sure you have some basic padded shorts - no need to spend daft money at first.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you also bear in mind that short rides in some ways are the worst of all worlds.

Your body goes into total shock - like wtf is happening here !!! - your breathing labours, your legs don't feel right, etc - After about 20-30 minutes it settles down and you get a few nice miles - before fatigue sets in. But if you cut off after 20 minutes or so - you are only doing the worst miles.

As others have said I wouldn't rush to change the saddle - make sure you have some basic padded shorts - no need to spend daft money at first.

Umm :scratch: I am more than comfortable in the first 30 minutes!?
Many cyclists never ride for more than say an hour at a time (commuters, utility cyclists, leisure cyclists...we're not all racers doing 100 miles before breakfast :laugh: )

Hebe

getting better all the time
Echo advice above above more riding, check the saddle height and padded shorts. Velovixen do some nice padded pants for women which in my experience work well for shorter journeys under normal clothes.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

I love my Brooks. Took me 12 months to realise that a harder saddle is better for me it is anyway.

As above it's not surprising you are having difficulty if Its been such a long time since you last ride a bike. Take it steady and if it doesnt gradually get better then look to a newer saddle.

Well done for getting back out there and good luck to you both.

postman

Legendary Member
On monday i had my first ride since september 2020.Sat on my Brooks B17 and no problems,but sitting on a charge spoon on my turbo bike it was awful,what helped i think was a good pair padded cycling bibs,my turbo ones are cheap fdx so try some good padding see if that helps.

OP
OP
B

baaa

Thanks so much for all replies. Clearly, at the outset, some patience is called for - easier for me than the missus who still finds it excruciating trying to lift herself off the sofa. So a new saddle and/or padding is definitely on the cards for her (and thanks for the tips on selling the existing - wouldn’t have occurred to me). I had a B17 on an old bike I gave away years ago….never occurred to me at the time to hang on to the saddle. Damn.

The specific recommendations are much appreciated - will definitely follow those up.

Fredo76

Über Member
IMG_3045.JPG
If I had invented the Selle SMP TRK, I would have trademarked the term Crotch Cradle (TM).

It supports the entire inside edge of my sit-bones, not just the points at the back. Meanwhile, important parts are not mashed. This works for me in a way that my Brooks Pro never, ever will, sorry to say.

YBMV (Your Butt May Vary).

Last edited:
Top Bottom