pair of crumblies looking for saddle recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 650636
If I had invented the Selle SMP TRK, I would have trademarked the term Crotch Cradle (TM).

It supports the entire inside edge of my sit-bones, not just the points at the back. Meanwhile, important parts are not mashed. This works for me in a way that my Brooks Pro never, ever will, sorry to say.

YBMV (Your Butt May Vary).

Now for me, sitting on something like that is like sitting on something created by Torquemada... One was fitted to a bike that I bought s/h from someone on here. After about five minutes, it's absolutely excruciating, because it's too curved and too squishy. It doesn't support me in the right places and chafes me in all of the wrong ones.

I'm far happier on a harder, flatter saddle.

Mine is now gathering dust in "the box of shame" that contains unwanted gubbins.

Fredo76

Über Member
Now for me, sitting on something like that is like sitting on something created by Torquemada... One was fitted to a bike that I bought s/h from someone on here. After about five minutes, it's absolutely excruciating, because it's too curved and too squishy. It doesn't support me in the right places and chafes me in all of the wrong ones.

I'm far happier on a harder, flatter saddle.

Mine is now gathering dust in "the box of shame" that contains unwanted gubbins.
Hence the YBMV!

Maybe yours would suit one of the crumblies?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I purchased a B17 for Mrs Tenkaykev as a birthday present. She persevered with it for several months but in the end just couldn't get on with it. She fitted a Selle SMP TRK and found it supremely comfortable, cycling LEJOG and a few other longer tours on it. She's fitted another TRK to her Brommie.
We have a new Brommie that we will be sharing, we've fitted Ergon GP1 grips, and at the moment there's a Spoon saddle on it. I've got another Charge saddle, possibly a Pan?, if the Spoon doesn't suit then we'll fit that, but I can see another TRK is almost inevitable.

The only caveat with a TRK (and also with a Brooks) is that they can be an expensive mistake - what with them costing several multiples of the Charge or Madison.

Best to find a place with an arse-o-meter (or do the DIY version) and start by discounting things that are too wide or too narrow.

Better still, some bike shops have a saddle library.

I'm just lucky that a cheap saddle suits my derriere just fine. Some people's derrieres have far more... expensive... tastes... :laugh:

Top Bottom