Eye wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rickangus

Über Member
I want to get some glasses/eye shields to keep the wind, dust and bugs out of my eyes. I'm not in the market for the stupidly priced items but a couple have caught my eye (no pun intended!).

These are the Madison D'Arcs and Bloc something or other from Evans' website. For those that don't know, both come as a set with three different coloured lenses.

Question is, do folk ever actually bother changes the lenses from clear to citrus to smoke or do you just stick with one indefinitely?

Any words of wisdom from existing users particularly welcome.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use clear most of the time, and if sunny, on goes the Smoke. The 'citrus' are supposed to be good for dull days as they enhance the contract...but I've only got smoke or clear - plus I'm shortsighted....so optical inserts are needed for me.

Tynan

Veteran
I've used the yellow in the summer and loved them until it started getting dark, clear does just fine all year round if that's all you have

mr Mag00

rising member
i use them all as a contact lens wearer, the dark in bright conditions, the clear on v v wet days and sometimes at night, but use the optical enhancing at night. I have never bought online as glasses are like shoes some fit some dont.

stevenb

Im currently using a pair of Mighty sunglasses.....got them for £10 from PBK. Excellent and come with 5 lenses. I use the standard black tint when it's bright and the light blue lenses on more dull days.
My old helmet used to press the glasses down onto the bridgeof my nose really hard...so Im hoping my new Limar Pro helmet will not do this!!!

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've been using the dhb triple lense glasses from Wiggle. I find the light blue tint ok for day and night time riding.

I recommended my wife as a friend referral and got them for free so can't complain ;)

yello

In practice, I use mainly the clear or smoked. I decide which I want for the ride and go with that. I don't carry the other lenses with me (I'm carrying enough already!) The citrus/yellowy one is good, very good, but seems to have a narrower range of use.

As mentioned (succinctly) before, the glasses from Decathlon (if you have one near you) are a good buy.

Gary D

The best value glasses you are likely to come across are these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bolle-Silium-...ryZ56185QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are sold as safety glasses and therefore probably comply with more standards than "proper" cycling shades.
These particular ones have a metal frame and sprung side arms and suit my big head! If they were sold as proper cycling glasses they would be £50+ going by what the recognised brands charge.

The same company does lots of different styles in clear and smoke as well.

You will struggle to find better value for money and I would thoroughly recommend them.

Gary.

OP
OP
R

rickangus

Über Member
wafflycat said:
I am currently using (mostly) some DHB shades with interchangeable lenses I got from Wiggle: these ones. I do change the lenses dependent upon ambient light. I like them.

Yes, I agree they look nice but probably best on a lady:smile:

Being a bloke with a big (my wife says fat:angry:) face they may not suit me quite so well. But the pair mentioned above do look good and cracking value. Almost a case of buying them and if they don't suit chuck 'em in the shed for their originally intended use.

Top Bottom