Eyesight worsens as ride (in rain) progresses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Copied from another site because I think this is worth sharing. I've always used eye protection (often clear rather than sunglasses) and this rider's experience backs up the merit of so doing.

"Set off near the front under clear skies but it wasn't long before the heavens opened and the rain became quite heavy. About 20km in I started to notice that my eyesight was becoming blurred, not too much but definitely noticeable. As we went through the Shropshire Hills my eyesight became steadily worse and I started to feel some discomfort. Eventually I had to ask my friend to slow down as my diminishing eyesight was making fast riding dangerous. By the time we reached Shobdon Airfield we had slowed to a crawl and I couldn't see much beyond the blinking red light in front of me.

"Once off the bike it was clear there was something not at all right with my eyes. Even out of the rain my eyesight was very blurred and the discomfort was getting worse. I assumed I had some dirt of grit in my eye and tried to wash and tried to wash it out. This made them significantly worse, the pain increased dramatically and my eyes closed altogether, rendering my sightless.

"The first aid lady at the airfield (whose name I'm ashamed to say I've completely forgotten) tried to wash out my eyes as best she could and eventually I was taken to Hereford County Hospital Eye Casualty Unit and diagnosed with severe abrasions on both of my cornea. Three days of agonising pain and not being able to open my eyes followed. Only today can I look at a screen long enough to type this out.

"I'm still not 100% sure what happened, I must have ridden in heavy rain dozens of times with no effect, but my guess is that the bluriness was caused by the amount of rainwater flushing away my "eye juices" (I'm no biologist !!) and drying them out. At the same time, riding down country lanes has caused some small particles of dirt/mud/grit/otherstuff to build up in my eye. When I ried to wash my eyes at Shobdon I suspect I've dislodged the dirt in my eye and caused the abrasions.

"I stopped wearing eye protection a while ago now, I'm not really sure why I just got out of the habit. It's fair to say it's a habit I'll definitely get back into!"

U

User6179

The symptoms sound like Corneal flash burns, I have burnt my eyes welding a couple of times with the exact symptoms mentioned, I wonder if it was sun showers he was riding in and the sun was reflecting off the road.
When you flash your eyes it feels like they are full of grit, rubbing or washing them out without the correct solution just makes it worse

Corneal flash burns causes

Radiation damage to the cornea leading to a flash burn can be caused by ultraviolet light from various sources:

• Sunlamp in tanning salon
  • Reflection of the sun off the snow at high elevation (snow blindness)
  • Photographer’s flood lamp
  • Lightning that strikes close to you
  • Halogen lamp
  • Welding torch
  • Direct sunlight
  • Solar eclipse
  • Reflection of sunlight off water
Corneal flash burns symptoms
Any time from three to 12 hours after overexposure to ultraviolet light, you may begin to notice symptoms:

• Pain that can be mild to very severe
  • Bloodshot eyes
  • Light sensitivity
  • Excessive tearing (watery eyes)
  • Blurry vision
  • Sensation of a foreign body in the eye

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a very similar thing happen to me on the Dales forum ride last year ...

[Click the link (upward arrow symbol) above for the full story of an epic day on the bike, or just make do with the relevant bit below!]

By then, conditions were truly horrid! I had been thinking that I would still do my 200, but it was no longer a fun ride so I abandoned that idea. I would catch the train to Keighley as planned, but then carry on home by rail rather than riding back from there.

I had plenty of time to get to Settle. Or did I? A completely unexpected problem suddenly scuppered my progress ... My eyes started stinging to the extent that I had to stop and wipe them. The wind was blowing the rain against my face and it was washing off the sun protection that I had liberally applied before setting off from home. I wiped my face as hard as I could to get rid of as much sun oil as possible but it seemed to keep coming out of my skin and blowing under my glasses and into my eyes. Ride 250 metres. Stop. lift glasses, wipe eyes. Start ... Then 200 metres. Stop ... 150 metres. Stop ... It got really ridiculous - I was having to stop every 50 metres. It trashed my average speed to the extent that I was worried about getting to Settle in time for the train. There was an option to stop at Horton-in-Ribblesdale and catch the train from there but I was soaked and cold so I wanted to keep riding to keep generating some warmth. I decided to take off my glasses so I could wipe my eyes while I was moving. It meant that more rain got in my eyes and I was uncomfortable but at least I was back up to reasonable speed.I should get to Settle with 15 minutes to spare ...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Apart from lower speed pub/shop/kid rides I always wear glasses of some kind. I find that my vision is not so good without, my eyes dry out and that I cannot go more than a few hours without something nasty going in my eyes. I would be more likely to abort/go back on a ride due to missing glasses than most other things including toolkit, fluid and a waterproof jacket.

OP
OP
Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay

Guru
I had a very similar thing happen to me on the Dales forum ride last year ...
My eyes started stinging to the extent that I had to stop and wipe them. The wind was blowing the rain against my face and it was washing off the sun protection . . . I wiped my face as hard as I could to get rid of as much sun oil as possible but it seemed to keep coming out of my skin and blowing under my glasses and into my eyes.
But you were wearing glasses, Colin. Wasn't this 'just' a sunscreen in the eyes irritation issue? Did you get subsequent medical attention? How have you mitigated the risk of this happening again?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But you were wearing glasses, Colin. Wasn't this 'just' a sunscreen in the eyes irritation issue? Did you get subsequent medical attention? How have you mitigated the risk of this happening again?
The glasses weren't actually helping that day because the rain was so heavy it was not only getting in over the top, spray from my mudguard-less front wheel was also getting in from below.

I was fairly convinced at the time that the sunscreen was the problem but now I'm not so sure - maybe it was pollution in the water being thrown up from the road? As far as the sunscreen goes I think the solution would be not to put any on my forehead (that area doesn't get excessive sun exposure anyway because I wear a skull cap/bandana and a peaked helmet) or to buy more expensive sunscreen that is more water-resistant!

But yes, it wasn't a good example to support your argument!

My eyes started to get better as soon as I was out of the rain so no medical intervention was required.

pjd57

Veteran
I only wear reading glasses and sometimes if I don't have them on things close up can go a wee bit out of focus.
Most noticeable when I am eating. I can still see what's on the plate ok but it's definitely a bit blurred.
Open and close my eyes a few times and it's fixed.

Recently however I noticed when cycling on a long straight , that the far distance stuff was a bit hazy. Not dangerously out of sight or anything , but just not as clear as it usually is.

The opening and closing eyes option doesn't seem like a good idea on my bike.

I don't usually wear anything on my eyes , but think I will try some appropriate sunglasses , maybe even get a price for a prescription set.

Not a fashion statement pair, just something practical.

Top Bottom