F.w evans bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swifty

Über Member
Have just bought from a little junkyard close to me an fw evans bike the decal on the main frame says the evans bicycle has gb stem and bars and brakes and levers and a rod operated cyclo Benelux front changer it's rideable at the moment so doesn't seem too bad anybody know anything about the brand and this front changer hope I haven't paid too much for it going to collect tomorrow so pics to follow

The antecedants of the current Evans Cycles. Quite respectable if not elite. The rod changers on the front are rare and very collectable. Benelux stuff is also rare, possibly because it wasn't very good and didn't last long!

Rod changers will be late 40s or early 50s probably. What tubing is it? if no stickers, measure the seat pin very accurately. 531 butted will be 27.2mm. probably, which was the best at the time. If it has a Brooks saddle there should be a date stamped on the steel frame.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not worth a great deal, but Evans badged bikes up to the 1980s are quite rare now, worth preserving a bit of cycling history. They also made some of the first home grown mountain bikes.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
It has a wrights saddle complete with saddle bag gb coureur brakes seems to have nice lugs but not sure what tubing

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
The old chap who took it to the junkyard rode it there so it's all working needs a good clean up and lube it's got a working dynamo front and rear probably needs tyres and tubes

How awful. That must be like taking your old dog to the vet for the last time. Not sure I could do it. (Which is why I have a shed full of old bikes!)

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
This little junkyard is like an alladdins cave bits of bikes everywhere also has lots of wheel rims all different sizes boxes of stuff to look through

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
QUOTE="Drago, post: 3328647, member: 22751"]Not worth a great deal, but Evans badged bikes up to the 1980s are quite rare now, worth preserving a bit of cycling history. They also made some of the first home grown mountain bikes.[/QUOTE]
...and I have one :-)

Here in picnic mode ....

IMG_1855.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom