Fabric Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
True is that! The worst saddle I ever owned was a £300+ Brooks Swift Ti on my uber-commuter. It was nasty to my bum on day one and continued to be nasty for 3 solid years and 12,000km until a rail broke. I replaced it with a £40 Aliante from my parts bin.
Dropping my bars by 1 inch on a recent longish ride tamed my Swift.

You clearly have an 'arris of steel to go 12k km on a bad saddle.

Sandra6

Veteran
Charge/Cannondale/Fabric - they all come out of the same factories.
The technology behind Fabric saddles is quite interesting, they're made to be lighter, flex better and be more comfortable.
Like anything you have to get the right one though.
I think, but don't quote me on this, they do the 30 day guarantee thing that specialized do - so if you try it and don't like it you can swap it for a different one.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I spotted your mistake.
I know that now Crax. And they look rubbish.
Dropping my bars by 1 inch on a recent longish ride tamed my Swift.
It's a possibility that tweaking my position on the bike might have helped (flat bar, so options limited) but I developed such a downer on it during our relationship that I like to think it jumped before it was pushed. The Aliante I replaced it with was from my road bike of the period and this worked much better on the less aggressive geometry of the commuter.

You clearly have an 'arris of steel to go 12k km on a bad saddle.
I'm all steel Greg!

Have them on some my bikes;carbon on the Helium,ti on the Light Blue and the standard one is now on the Planet X.

All are the same shape though and are comfy for all day use.

Also have a Charge Spoon but it's not quite as comfy as the Fabrics though.

Of course not all bum/saddle interfaces are the same.

U

User482

These Fabric saddles had passed under my radar but they look good. Might try a Line for the roadbike.
I've just ordered a Line. My Charge Spoon becomes a bit uncomfortable after about five hours, hence the change.

U

User482

Pretty much the same. Over about 40 miles I start squirming on my Spoon. Let me know how you get on with the Line.

The shop sent me the wrong one so the review will have to wait! I have a long audax planned for the start of September so need to get my saddle right. I have a Brooks cambium C17 on my other bike, which I quite like but feels a bit too wide when riding on the drops - I should've gone for the C15.

The weird thing about the Spoon is that on really long rides, it seems to get more comfortable again. Maybe it's because by then I'm distracted more by other body parts starting to ache!

The shop sent me the wrong one so the review will have to wait! I have a long audax planned for the start of September so need to get my saddle right. I have a Brooks cambium C17 on my other bike, which I quite like but feels a bit too wide when riding on the drops - I should've gone for the C15.

The weird thing about the Spoon is that on really long rides, it seems to get more comfortable again. Maybe it's because by then I'm distracted more by other body parts starting to ache!
Did you get it? And what do you think. I did 70 on the Spoon today and remembered what you said about it getting comfy again. I don't think it did, I just got number.

U

User482

Did you get it? And what do you think. I did 70 on the Spoon today and remembered what you said about it getting comfy again. I don't think it did, I just got number.
Yeah, I did a 200 mile audax earlier this month. The Scoop was pretty good - I wasn't exactly comfortable, but not in agony either, and there was no chafing or sores.

Twilkes

Guru
An old thread, but does anyone have experience of riding both the Flat and the Shallow editions of the Fabric Scoop? I have both of them sitting in front of me and can't return them if I've ridden them, but shape-wise there's not a lot of difference between them to decide which one I want to keep. I have a racyish position and use the drops a lot so their guidance says Flat, but I'm wondering if the extra padding of the Shallow would provide a more comfortable ride while not actually hindering a forward position that much.

boydj

Legendary Member
An old thread, but does anyone have experience of riding both the Flat and the Shallow editions of the Fabric Scoop? I have both of them sitting in front of me and can't return them if I've ridden them, but shape-wise there's not a lot of difference between them to decide which one I want to keep. I have a racyish position and use the drops a lot so their guidance says Flat, but I'm wondering if the extra padding of the Shallow would provide a more comfortable ride while not actually hindering a forward position that much.

I've got both and there's little difference. There's not much padding, but a good amount of flex, so they're both pretty comfortable. I don't ride on the drops much, but I've got a 5" drop from saddle to bars, so my position is pretty low. Either way you should be ok.

Twilkes

Guru
I've got both and there's little difference. There's not much padding, but a good amount of flex, so they're both pretty comfortable. I don't ride on the drops much, but I've got a 5" drop from saddle to bars, so my position is pretty low. Either way you should be ok.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll compare the shape to my current saddle but there's really not much between them, so I'll probably keep the Shallow because it was a few quid cheaper. :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the radius is a very similar shape to the charge spoon, the others have less of a shape.
When i tried them i preffered the radius as i found the others were not for me but since then i found my saddle was a bit high which may have been a factor

Top Bottom