Facebook Cycling Group

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Someone i follow on strava has created a facebook cycling group to meet up for local rides.He has said if you are on facebook i will send you a link.
I was on facebook for probably a week quite a few years ago and removed myself because i couldn't stand the triviality of it all.People showing what they had for breakfast etc i'm just not interested in all that plus people i didn't know that wanted to be my friend.
The thing is if strava did personal messaging it wouldn't be a problem so my question is could i join facebook and just talk within this group.If so what are the privacy settings i would have to use.?

GM

Legendary Member
Not sure about the privacy settings. My daughter set my FB up for me, she also set one up for the cat which we had at the time, and it's got more friends than me.
I'm just on a couple of cycling pages and a couple of trade pages from when I was working, also a couple of London pages which can be hilarious and knowledgable. Just keep it simple is the best way I've found. Sorry can't be more helpful.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A friend is on FB with no friends and maximum privacy settings so that "only friends of friends" can contact her (can you see how that works?) She can join any group and interacts only within those groups.

Actually, two of my friends do that.

Venod

Eh up
Facebook is fine for this sort of thing, it's how the club I was in organised rides, just set your privacy settings correctly and ignore stuff you have no interest in.

There is a local cycling group on Strava that organies rides, the rides are posted through the comments on other rides, it's called Cyling not Politics, set up by someone who was fed up with the petty rules and politics of the local clubs.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't have a television.

Someone i follow on strava has created a facebook cycling group to meet up for local rides.He has said if you are on facebook i will send you a link.
I was on facebook for probably a week quite a few years ago and removed myself because i couldn't stand the triviality of it all.People showing what they had for breakfast etc i'm just not interested in all that plus people i didn't know that wanted to be my friend.
The thing is if strava did personal messaging it wouldn't be a problem so my question is could i join facebook and just talk within this group.If so what are the privacy settings i would have to use.?
Probably, if you set your privacy settings high and set everyone but the group to ignore if needs be.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Whatever the settings, eventually you'll see annoying stuff on FB.
For private events, I find a WhatsApp chat better.
Maybe suggest this?

Top Bottom