Facebook Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

Corvette chic said:
I completely deleted my FB account when OH asked how many "Friends" have u got on there? 1047.... was my response - WTF was his - I'm at level 292 in Mafia Wars and STFU I'm about to go to war! After spending too much time on it I just deleted the bloody lot

Did you?

It's practically impossible to delete a fb account, you can deactivate it but that actually does nothing to get rid of all the stuff you've posted on there. In fact if you went back on you'd find everything there still as you left it.

Facebook has very big issues with privacy now, the privacy settings are so convoluted and difficult to understand - 50 settings and 170 options - that it's almost impossible to secure your private information satisfactorily.

Facebook's privacy policy has more words than the US Constitution and they basically add up to saying that you sign your soul over to us and we (fb that is) can do whatever the hell we like with your data. Once you put something on fb it is impossible to remove it from the public domain.

It's a hell-hole of a security issue as far as your private info is concerned. Never ever, ever post anything on fb that you wouldn't want your boss, wife, husband, partner, gf, bf, granny, the plod, etc to see. Even if you think it's private it isn't.

Joe

Über Member
I deleted my account a couple of days ago. Partly as it was taking up far too much of my time, and partly as I was starting to find it all a bit too much...knowing everything people (some of whom could barely be called aquaintences) are up to, and sharing innane details of my own to all and sundry.

I was also finding the way it suggests friends quite creepy!

They don't make it easy to quit, mind. The deactivate button retains everything so you can log back in at any time and all your details/friends etc will still be there. The full delete option is quite well hidden, but apparently doesn't delete your account for two weeks! So if you log in within that time you can still reactivate...

There was also an article in the Guardian today which linked back to this older one which is a bit scary!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook

Having said all that I'm now upping my Twitter useage instead:laugh:

darkstar

Loads of people are deleting their accounts because of all the privacy issues which have been on the news recently.

Joe

Über Member
darkstar said:
Loads of people are deleting their accounts because of all the privacy issues which have been on the news recently.
So it seems, it passed me by though! ;)

longers

Legendary Member
As someone who doesn't post much on there at all and doesn't plan to, there's nothing to worry about from any privacy issues is there?

darkstar

longers said:
As someone who doesn't post much on there at all and doesn't plan to, there's nothing to worry about from any privacy issues is there?
I wouldn't worry, if you don't have many photos/personal details on their there's not much to find! There are processes to go through to ensure a good level of security, but it's ridiculously complex!

Yes it's difficult - I've got friends on 'fb' as you say, who are: ex colleagues most I like & some not so much, relatives, ex sort-of- relatives, in-laws and cycling friends. It could be very difficult moaning about certain in-laws when others are my friends on fb, (that terminology is new to me too) I have to be very careful.

Debian

Some pundits argue that you should simply set all privacy rules to fully public. Just don't put anything on there that you wouldn't want your boss, wife, husband, granny, etc to see or read and there's no problem.

The arguments that are raging about the privacy settings are because a) Facebook doesn't seem to care about it's customers and ;) Facebook was originally founded as a way to privately keep in touch with college friends and many original members still assume the same privacy rules apply.

Debian

Campfire said:
Yes it's difficult - I've got friends on 'fb' as you say, who are: ex colleagues most I like & some not so much, relatives, ex sort-of- relatives, in-laws and cycling friends. It could be very difficult moaning about certain in-laws when others are my friends on fb, (that terminology is new to me too) I have to be very careful.

This is where the convolutions come into play. Even if you theoretically post a picture privately, a friend could tag you, or someone else in that picture and then that tag is automatically farmed out to their friends, friends of their friends, etc. So even someone not in your locked down circle of friends could easily see something you'd rather they didn't. Hence, just don't ever post anything embarrassing on fb.

darkstar

Debian said:
This is where the convolutions come into play. Even if you theoretically post a picture privately, a friend could tag you, or someone else in that picture and then that tag is automatically farmed out to their friends, friends of their friends, etc. So even someone not in your locked down circle of friends could easily see something you'd rather they didn't. Hence, just don't ever post anything embarrassing on fb.
You can't go out for a night out at my uni without someone taking loads of pictures and uploading them. It's impossible! I don't mind though, not bothered about that yet, will do when i'm in full employment though :0

longers

Legendary Member
I only signed up because our apprentice was off on the sick for a bit and I got told he'd put on there he was working away with his brother. I didn't check his profile in the end and just asked him instead.

Top Bottom