Facebook Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

darkstar said:
You can't go out for a night out at my uni without someone taking loads of pictures and uploading them. It's impossible! I don't mind though, not bothered about that yet, will do when i'm in full employment though :0

But will you ever get to full employment status if the wrong pictures or posts get into the public domain? Lots of employers routinely search social sites for data on current or prospective employees. ;)

darkstar

Debian said:
But will you ever get to full employment status if the wrong pictures or posts get into the public domain? Lots of employers routinely search social sites for data on current or prospective employees. ;)
Hmmm good point, well the line of work I'm aiming for would be very likely to search for things, luckily as of yet there's nothing out there of me doing anything illegal or dodgy! Will delete my account straight after uni as well.

Debian

darkstar said:
Hmmm good point, well the line of work I'm aiming for would be very likely to search for things, luckily as of yet there's nothing out there of me doing anything illegal or dodgy! Will delete my account straight after uni as well.

Not trying to make you paranoid but even if you delete your account, anything you've been tagged in, or that someone else has posted about you will still be out there.

darkstar

Debian said:
Not trying to make you paranoid but even if you delete your account, anything you've been tagged in, or that someone else has posted about you will still be out there.
Yeh they will still be around, but nothing serious! There will always be pictures of people drunk, thats not a problem. It's when you are snapped with a joint in your hand, then you're in trouble!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But how would an employer find out if it was you ... for example there are a number of people with my name.... I make my little piccy of me either a distant shot or a flower photo. Mind you as I only have about 10 friends there should be that much info on me and one of my friends is my boss so I won't post anything too dodgy ... if anything knowing my friend its the other way around and I have to be careful that I don't tell work colleagues what she posts on there.

Debian

summerdays said:
But how would an employer find out if it was you ... for example there are a number of people with my name.... I make my little piccy of me either a distant shot or a flower photo. Mind you as I only have about 10 friends there should be that much info on me and one of my friends is my boss so I won't post anything too dodgy ... if anything knowing my friend its the other way around and I have to be careful that I don't tell work colleagues what she posts on there.

It's all about data security and being sensible about what you put online. It's very easy to work out who's who, there's all sorts of possible corroborating data that could identify you, area, type of job, birthday, friends and their connections, etc, etc. You have to work on the assumption that you are identifiable and simply don't post anything on there that could incriminate you or leave you open to identity theft.

What others post about you (truth or lies) could be the problem area as you have no control over that.

Greedo

OT.

I think the facebook thing is fine and have had one for a while. It's good for catching up with people and having a couple of sisters in Australia it's good for photos and stuff of their kids etc.... I am careful about the amount of friends on mine. They are genuine friends and people I am interested in. I have knocked back loads of people. Why would I want to accept a girl/guy I was at school with and not spoken to for 20 years and never really had anything to do with them when i was there. I also have never accepted people I've worked with in the past unless they became real friends. And certainly not anyone who works for me now.

I actually have had 2 girls I had very brief liasons with in the past look me up and send messages. The only way they could have seen me is by looking me up on purpose as they don't know any of my friends whatsoever. That's stalkerish imho.

I know a few people who have 500+ friends. Now that's just ridiculous. As an experiment I set up a false account a while back for a laugh and sent people friends requests i know. I ended up with 100+ friends within 3 weeks!!!! Fair play to some they just blanked it or sent messages saying "who are you" Most just accepted as people just want to be loved and accepted.

Top Bottom