Facial fly-screens - anyone make 'em?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I look forward to the coming warmer months, but not to the return of the little flying bamsticks that make my life uncomfortable when riding.
One's mouth tends to be open when riding at any appreciable lick due to the need to inhale and exhale large volumes of air, and with unerring accuracy, little buglets have the ability to fly into my mouth, down the exact centre of it and hit the back of my throat, causing instant coughing and spitting as one attempts to rid oneself of the miniature corpse and it's attendant revolting taste.
I've designed a mask in my head, similar to the general duty dust masks available from industrial safety suppliers but made of caravan window flyscreen mesh, which would repels the beasties but leave breathing unhindered. I don't suppose anyone already makes something like this do they? I had though of wrapping a buff around my mouth but this would be unpleasant on warm days, as would the anti-pollution masks available.
Has anyone any leads on suppliers or any ideas?

Its simply free protein!

If you really don't find it aceptable, a mesh head net?

31GlSIGDPxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Norm

I wear a buff whenever I'm out on the bike or motorbike, all year round. They make excellent filters in the summer.

ASC1951

Guru
Some people say that the traditional cloth cycling cap works well, pulled down, by diverting the airflow.

I keep them out by closing my mouth. Of course you may have a lot more bugs in warmer, flatter Lincolnshire; or you may go a tad faster. Round us they are only common by low lying farms when they first put the animals out and spread the muck.

Sambu

just swallow! the worst ones are Hawthorn Flies, big, black and ugly with those horrible dangley legs!

marzjennings said:
From...

http://gbnpro.com/

I've never tried one, but after a mouth of mossies one day I was very tempted to get one.

Blimey, someone does make something like that which I was after, does make you look a bit like a forestry worker though? I've an idea hatching which I might try out in the next couple of days if I can get the materials I need. Besides, $20.00 plus postage and probably tax is a bit steep.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The peloton was bothered by midges on the Tour of the Glens:

burqa.jpg

Norm

gouldina said:
Ain't it hot though?
No, strangely, they do seem to keep me warm in winter but not to overheat in summer. As I wear the Buff all the time, I just pull it up over my mouth and nose when it is needed.

However, if it gets too hot, I'll run the Buff under a tap for a few seconds, to give it an active cooling ability.

Lovely. :sad:

gouldina

Norm said:
No, strangely, they do seem to keep me warm in winter but not to overheat in summer. As I wear the Buff all the time, I just pull it up over my mouth and nose when it is needed.

However, if it gets too hot, I'll run the Buff under a tap for a few seconds, to give it an active cooling ability.

Lovely. :sad:

Hmm. Might have to try that. I loves my buffs I do but I've never worn them in the summer.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
With Norm on this. They are warm in winter and cool in summer..bleedin' marvellous things Buffs..

gouldina said:
Hmm. Might have to try that. I loves my buffs I do but I've never worn them in the summer.

Top Bottom