Failed chain tool, replacement advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
4479742-630x420.jpg
I had a chain break on a trip and though had a link to repair it couldn't do it because no chain tool so bought this one and to date its been fine though on the negative side its a heavy old lump to carry about.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Park Tools Mini-brute for me.

My local bike shop thrashes a couple in their workshop without any problem which is a good recommendation.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-mini-chain-tool-ct-5/rp-prod7843

I've been using this one (from Decathlon) for several years. I must have unlinked/linked about 40 chains so far. It's still going strong.

View attachment 449426
Looks OK but I note no tight link cradle.

The Topeak one on the multi-tools is the easiest one I have ever used. The design of using a hex key on the other bit of the tool to turn it is the best sort of simple clever design. I have a workshop tool from a major company which is a pig to turn.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Looks OK but I note no tight link cradle.

The Topeak one on the multi-tools is the easiest one I have ever used. The design of using a hex key on the other bit of the tool to turn it is the best sort of simple clever design. I have a workshop tool from a major company which is a pig to turn.

What is a tight link cradle?

What is a tight link cradle?
It's a second cradle.

Now and again (not often but a pain when you do - and it is sometimes the reason for a chain skipping for no obvious reason) you get a tight link. The second cradle allows you to loosen it.

If a link is tight you can see it if you back pedal when the load is off.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
It's a second cradle.

Now and again (not often but a pain when you do - and it is sometimes the reason for a chain skipping for no obvious reason) you get a tight link. The second cradle allows you to loosen it.

If a link is tight you can see it if you back pedal when the load is off.

How do you use the second cradle (to fix a tight link)? I usually just use a flat head screwdriver and wiggle it between the inner plates of the tight link.

Top Bottom