fair weather cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Rarely and certainly not as much as western Scotland
That doesn't scan quite as well to be honest.

iggibizzle

Anything but bad ice, I'm out (came off on black ice so put me off) . I'd rather get soaked to the bone in rain / hail / sleet and battle a 50mph headwind than get either bus/tram or get wound up in a que of traffic.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think that (sometimes) age has a lot to do with it.
When I was noubt bura lad I would cycle in vitually any weather............now it has to be at least mild and NOT windy.
When out and about I regualrly see "kids" on bikes.......freezing cold weather but they have no gloves or hats and often no coat AND they dont seem to bother.
A couple of years ago I made a serious error of judgement and went out for a 20 miler when it was cold(ish). I saw no sign of rain so didn't take a waterproof. Half way round it started to rain and I got wet & cold..........at one point I really thought I was in trouble..........no choice but to keep going as fast as possible-----very unpleasant.

I think that (sometimes) age has a lot to do with it.
When I was noubt bura lad I would cycle in vitually any weather............now it has to be at least mild and NOT windy.
When out and about I regualrly see "kids" on bikes.......freezing cold weather but they have no gloves or hats and often no coat AND they dont seem to bother.
A couple of years ago I made a serious error of judgement and went out for a 20 miler when it was cold(ish). I saw no sign of rain so didn't take a waterproof. Half way round it started to rain and I got wet & cold..........at one point I really thought I was in trouble..........no choice but to keep going as fast as possible-----very unpleasant.

How true. I used to cycle to school in just a blazer and school trousers with a scarf tucked in the collar for winter. A cape for the rain, of course. I don't think I owned a pair of gloves.

I reckon you can have too much 'fair weather' too. It's 35 degrees outside at moment and very humid here (Brazil). Conditions that would make cycling wearing for different reasons.
It's nice to get back home to UK and experience a variety of weather. The novelty of howling gales wears off quite quickly though.

jim55

Guru
I was out for a wee loop today , Iv only been out cycling a few times over the last few weeks ,and ( on paper) it seemed mild ,and it was dry ( I also bought a rapha top so wanted to try it:smile:
I was only out for about an hr and I had no skull cap or buff with me , had to call it quits after a bit cos my ears ( and head in gen -as well as my toes ) were seriously sore and cold , when I was out there was a few wee specks of rain but nothing really , but once I was in and changed with a coffee in front of me it was abs lashing
Bbc weather is saying winds of up to50-60 mph a and tomorrow isn't looking much better , oh how I long for the balmy nights when u can just come in from work and anticipate getting ur gear on and heading out fr hrs and enjoy,it's amazing how much weather affects what we do ( or don't do)
Cycling is a pastime/ hobby I enjoy ,I don't enjoy cycling in shoot weather ( and it gets my bike / gear/ carpets in house bogging , so I don't do it

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I dislike rain cause it mucks up my bikes. Even with full mudguards I find water gets into the bottom bracket area and things start creaking.

Dave7

Legendary Member
How true. I used to cycle to school in just a blazer and school trousers with a scarf tucked in the collar for winter. A cape for the rain, of course. I don't think I owned a pair of gloves.

Ah.....I forgot about my yellow oilskin cape. They were great........kept all the rain off (with the aid of a s'wester) and you didnt sweat.

Nothing beats that sinking feeling when wheeling the bike out st 0500hrs when it's wet, windy and cold. I'd happily be a fair weather rider but I'm too stubborn on earlies to take the car.

Jimidh

Veteran
I will cycle in all weathers except snow and ice at the weekend but I'll only commute by bike on dry days as I don't have any proper changing facilities at work.

You can't beat being out on a dry sunny day but there is a curious pleasure in battling the conditions and coming home to a hot shower and a coffee.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'll commute in all weathers but like many here I hate the wind. That feeling of getting nowhere fast is horrible and it can feel so cold.

I was going to go out this morning but it looked blowy and that put me off. I get enough of riding into the wind on commutes.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Given my last 18 months riding have all been under a physio plan, I ride in anything. I did make one exception early this year when I judged it to be just a bit too windy, so rode the next day.

Top Bottom