Fake cycle helmets on Fake Britain tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 4033473, member: 259"]You can easily test them. Hit it as hard as you can with a hammer and if it breaks it must be a fake.[/QUOTE]

image.jpeg

andyfraser

Über Member
I believe I should wear a helmet, but at the moment I don`t.

I`m not asking about the safey aspect here, but am interested to hear what you guys do when it is below freezing. What I mean is, I currently wear a woolly hat and my head remains cold for the first few miles. What are helmets like for keeping the head warm? The ones I`ve seen only appear to cover the top part of the head.
My head gets very hot in my helmet. I bought a skull cap to wear under it a couple of years ago for when it got cold but I've only used it once. Even when it got down to -6 last winter I just used my helmet without anything else to keep my head warm.

Erudin

Veteran

I`m not asking about the safey aspect here, but am interested to hear what you guys do when it is below freezing. What I mean is, I currently wear a woolly hat and my head remains cold for the first few miles. What are helmets like for keeping the head warm? The ones I`ve seen only appear to cover the top part of the head.

I recently got a Ski helmet from Lidl for my short commutes to work when it's cold. It has less vents (some closable), ear warmer flaps and more padding than a cycle helmet. Aldi are also selling them from Thursday.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-3-dec/product-detail/ps/p/adults-skisnowboard-helmet-1/

Last edited:

Erudin

Veteran
Seriously: I'd like suggestions as to suitable dummy heads so I can try dropping it from head height onto tarmac and seeing if it compresses or shatters.

I've been told there's a lot of fakes around, but how can users spot them? If someone's wearing a fake (or wearing one badly, like Boris does), then society is getting all of the drawbacks but the user isn't getting all of any benefit.

I reckon a 5kg kettle bell would make a passable dummy head. I might do a home test my £6 RSP Quest helmet to see how it fares.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Absolutely. You don't become less observant just because youve donned a fake helmet.
I walked into that one.

AM1

Cycle helmets are useless at keeping your head warm, I use a headband, keeps my head and ears nice and warm :okay:

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom