Fake singlespeeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Grrr.

Scott Sub 30 with Gates carbon belt drive and Alfine rear hub gear etc etc.

What's with manufacturers selling stuff that looks like one thing and is actually another? Pretending to be something it isn't or in this case being something and pretending it isn't.

It's really the owners I dislike; the manufacturers are just building to a demand I suppose. The owner wants all the style without adapting his/her behaviour in any way. Buy a New VW Beetle! You can have a big flower on the dashboard, and still sit 18 inches behind someone at 90 mph on the motorway making onanistic gestures.

I detest 'retro' and all its connotations. I even hate the word. I want to ride a singlespeed because it's light and simple. I'd like a modern singlespeed with a belt drive sometime, if anybody makes one for a genuine SS enthusiast...

Hope you enjoyed my disjointed rant! :laugh:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
So you're complaining about hub gears because companies make them to look like single speeds and people buy them because they look like single speeds?

Have you thought that people might buy a hub gear bike because it is a hub geared bike.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
as a previous rider of a belt driven hub geared bike which was great to ride the thought of it looking like a singlespeed bike never crossed my simple mind

A bicycle is just a bicycle I was happy with 5 gears and a steel frame and the new beetle is a Golf in drag and the flower vase is just absurd although my father says he had one in his Standard 8 or was it a Standard Ten and he liked to put rose blooms in it before putting them in his buttonhole when he got to work but that was in the old days and anyway the new Beetle has the engine in the front and so does the new Fiat 500 and anyway you can't imbue a new product designed by computer and filled with spurious safety features with the charm of the original and thank God Citroen haven't built a new retro 2cv but OMG what if they do and what if it sells their already devalued DS3 heritage down the crappy stream that is the hollow and featureless car market of today and why are the rear windows on cars so small these days and why does a shopping car need 205/65 15 tyres and sports suspension when it's just for going to tesco and what are electric door mirrors all about anyway and why do cars even need a centre console or a transmission tunnel any more and why can't they just make a nice comfortable 5-seat family car like the series one Passat or the 1970s Audi 80 that does what it does and lasts well and isn't full of silly toys we didn't know we'll ever need and why have we all become x-Box nerds in cars we don't love and a bicycle with 5 gears would be fine for me anyway.

That is a rant. All others are imitations.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
There are many advantages to running a hub geared bike and I don't see a problem with doing so.

But what about the hair? Do I have to grow big hair and get a hairmet?

hairmet.png

Peteaud

Veteran
I like them tbh

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Buy an Ordinary and do away with the cogs altogether.

I'm more hardcore than you.

Hub gear bikes are popular in their own right and not necessarily ridden by ss wannabees.

Any way MTFU and ride fixed.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
The OP is spot on and it's outrageous that the heroic efforts of those riding a SS bike could be confused with the pathetic efforts of the scum that ride hub gears that look like a SS. Just because both systems run single front and rear cogs and require the same designs for providing chain tension. That's no excuse and something clearly needs to be done to make sure the honour of SingleSpeeders isn't further besmirched.

Though I ride a hub gear I make sure the bike looks as far from SS as possible and I also stop and give a little bow to any genuine SingleSpeeder that I'm lucky enough to come across.

The OP is spot on and it's outrageous that the heroic efforts of those riding a SS bike could be confused with the pathetic efforts of the scum that ride hub gears that look like a SS. Just because both systems run single front and rear cogs and require the same designs for providing chain tension. That's no excuse and something clearly needs to be done to make sure the honour of SingleSpeeders isn't further besmirched.

Though I ride a hub gear I make sure the bike looks as far from SS as possible and I also stop and give a little bow to any genuine SingleSpeeder that I'm lucky enough to come across.

This is how respect should work in an ideal world.

Of course any reference to respect owed to the riders of single-speed freewheel bicycles is 110% ironic.

Single-speed freewheel bicycles are for young children and the terminally dull.

All respect (demonstrated by bowing or otherwise) must be reserved for fixed-gear riders. All others are shams and imitations.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

To be fair you ought to lay down in the road longways and let them ride over you. That is the form after all.

Top Bottom