Fake singlespeeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This is how respect should work in an ideal world.

Of course any reference to respect owed to the riders of single-speed freewheel bicycles is 110% ironic.

Single-speed freewheel bicycles are for young children and the terminally dull.

All respect (demonstrated by bowing or otherwise) must be reserved for fixed-gear riders. All others are shams and imitations.
To be strictly accurate BB bicyles and, indeed, tricycles for young children are often, in my experience and observation, either fixed wheel or direct drive. Obviously only members of the Fauntleroy family have the bunce to provide freewheels for their little ones..

Da kidz is well ard innit?

On another note; I don't require riders of singlespeed or multigeared bikes to bow. All I ask is that they keep out of my chuffin' way on the climbs as they frantically change down whilst slowing dramatically, often simultaneously loosing all directional control, whilst behind them I'm winding it up...

"Comin' thru! Fixed wheel! Can't slow down!"

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I like the word retro and I ride SS :cry:
yebbut.

Why?

SS Retro

yebbut.

Why?
So I can still have a comfortable Reynolds steel frame (its modern btw) without the associated weight of gears, I absolutely love the simplicity of riding SS. I did try fixed but after catching a pedal on sweeping right hand down hill bend, I got away with it but it scared the shoot out of me I stopped spannered and flipped there and then.

on the climbs as they frantically change down whilst slowing dramatically,

I noted this the other day 3 guys on geared bikes passed me on flat 200m before a decent hill, now as we start to climb I notice I was catching them, I felt to embarrassed to pass as I didn't want to look like it was tit for tat pass so I pulled in for a min waited and set off again, closed in on them at the top but let them speed off on the decent.

kedab

Veteran
my cityspeed has an alfine 8 speed hub - i bought it as it meant no fettling required as i got back into cycling/commuting, add that to the fact that i think it's a gorgeous looking bike - didn't even enter my tiny little mind that it might appear as though it might be singlespeed and therefore indirectly vex people.

the hub is quite the conversation starter when on the train. often with older gents who still ride/used to ride...'that's a pretty bike, how many gears?' '8', 'where are they?' 'in that hub on the back wheel', 'oooh! that's very clever, i like that'.

something along those lines...actually, my CitySpeed gets far more attention than my roadie when i jump on the train with a bike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Grrr.

Scott Sub 30 with Gates carbon belt drive and Alfine rear hub gear etc etc.

What's with manufacturers selling stuff that looks like one thing and is actually another? Pretending to be something it isn't or in this case being something and pretending it isn't.

It's called marketing.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm failing to see what's new about a hub geared bike, TBH.
I once had one that was older than I was.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I don't see that. It's sold as a bike with a hub gear.
Now, if it had those stupid track-ends that some fixeds have, I'd be 100% with you...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The Genisis Day One Alfine has track ends, with any non-derailleur setup they are sensible fixings to have. With vertical dropouts you need a tansioner and with horazontal drop outs you need more space to remove the bike wheel behind the seat tube which can limit tyre sizes/make it difficult to get a wheel on and off.

I wonder what the OP would make to an SA Duomatic 2 speed hub - no shifter cables either :smile:

Anyway, aren't the fakenger singlespeeds the real imposter, pretending to be fixed. ;)

GrasB

Veteran
Grrr.

Scott Sub 30 with Gates carbon belt drive and Alfine rear hub gear etc etc.

What's with manufacturers selling stuff that looks like one thing and is actually another? Pretending to be something it isn't or in this case being something and pretending it isn't.

It's really the owners I dislike; the manufacturers are just building to a demand I suppose. The owner wants all the style without adapting his/her behaviour in any way. Buy a New VW Beetle! You can have a big flower on the dashboard, and still sit 18 inches behind someone at 90 mph on the motorway making onanistic gestures.

I detest 'retro' and all its connotations. I even hate the word. I want to ride a singlespeed because it's light and simple. I'd like a modern singlespeed with a belt drive sometime, if anybody makes one for a genuine SS enthusiast...

Hope you enjoyed my disjointed rant! :laugh:
Let's look at the Scott website shall we? Oh look at that the Sub 10 looks nearly identical to the Sub 20 & Sub 30 dérailleur geared bikes except it's using a hub gear & belt drive. It doesn't look like their fixed/SS OTG range now.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom