Falcon Sorrento 1980's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aleksic

I hope this is the right part of the forum to post this. I would like to restore/repair a Falcon Sorrento. I think it is from the 80's. I think it was a drop bar originally, but now has straight bars.
voa3xy.jpg

I suppose my questions is "Where do I start?" What are the key pieces of information that I'm going to need to help me find parts? What measurements do I need to take? What modern parts will/won't fit this frame?

Thanks

fossala

Guru
You need to start with deciding what you want to do. Do you want to keep it all original or swap out as much as you can with modern? Do you want it just to work or a piece of art in the end?

OP
OP
Aleksic

Aleksic

Ah yes,
I want a functional bike rather than a piece of art. Happy to use modern parts as long as they keep the feel of the bike, if that's not too woolly. For example, I don't want to put big fat knobbly tyres on it, that sort of thing.

fossala

Guru
OK, what need replacing? To me it looks in good nick from a glance. I've got 2 retro bikes. 1 came pretty much perfect and not much used. The other one only needed servicing of the bottom bracket headset and jockywheels.

EDIT: Did have to replace cables in both.

OP
OP
Aleksic

Aleksic

It is in pretty good nick. I think I would like to replace the stem and handlebars, and look into getting the gear shifters on the bars. The wheels are a bit rusty. I don't know if they can be cleaned up or will need replacing. The saddle will need replacing as well, not sure about the seatpost.
It's only got the one chainring at the front, though I'm happy to keep it that way at the moment.

fossala

Guru
It is in pretty good nick. I think I would like to replace the stem and handlebars, and look into getting the gear shifters on the bars. The wheels are a bit rusty. I don't know if they can be cleaned up or will need replacing. The saddle will need replacing as well, not sure about the seatpost.
It's only got the one chainring at the front, though I'm happy to keep it that way at the moment.
1. Handlebars and stem - You will need a 1" quill stem and make sure you match the clamp diameter of the stem and the handlebar when you buy them. 26, 25.4mm seem to be the most common "old" standard.
2. If you want to replace the shifters onto the bars, look into bar end shifters. They aren't that cheap but the work well (although I do prefer downtube).
3. The rust on the wheels should come off with autosol and elbowgrease, if the rims are rusty I would swap them out with some aluminium ones as they are better for braking.
4. Can't see why you would need to replace the seatpost (nor quill stem if it fits). A bit of autosol will bring it nice and shiny. I use it along with a dremel polishing tool.
5. Saddle is a preference thing. I would either go original or a brooks (my preference).

OP
OP
Aleksic

Aleksic

Thanks. We've had this a while and used to ride it. It's not too bad but could do with a bit of an overhaul. We got it second hand and someone else had changed the handlebars. The stem has a broken screw sticking out the front so that's one reason for changing the stem and we want to move the shifter onto the handlebars.

The brake levers are now very ropey so they'll need to be replaced.

The rear dérailleur (Sachs Huret) works fine. Does anyone know which handlebar mounted shifters would work with a 5 speed Sachs derailleur, if any?

Looks like we'll need to get some of this Autosol too and roll up our sleeves :thumbsup:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
one of my road bikes has a set of mtb style thumb changers fitted in the bars they should work fine once you can find a set of small dia bars .

this sort of thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-T...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3a84fc9cad

might even have a spare pr in garage but new ones are cheap enough

Sterba

Über Member
It does look in quite nice trim for a bike of this age. Personally, I think a better saddle would help, because that rexine item is going to hurt if you try going any distance. On this chatline there are a lots of Brooks enthusiasts, but they are expensive and high maintenance, and I find that modern gel-filled plastic saddles are very comfortable. This would require a new, alloy, seat post with a micro-adjuster. Take the old one with you when you go shopping to make sure you get the right diameter.

One other thing to mention. The rear brake caliper is specific to a ladies' bike. Don't just buy another set of brakes without being sure you can invert the cable entry to suit your frame

OP
OP
Aleksic

Aleksic

Thanks for all your replies. I agree about the saddle, and thanks for pointing out the caliper difference, I hadn't considered that.

I'm going to go to a cycle jumble tomorrow to see what I can find there.

Top Bottom