Fall 2021 weather turning cooler.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I was about to have a go at your for describing autumn as 'fall' but see you are 'over there' so will let you off :laugh:

Low temps don't discourage me from rides or commuting, just a couple of degrees above freezing is fine and even a couple of degrees below freezing can be very nice when the air is dry and still :becool:

One winter several years ago we did have a very cold spell (by our standards) where it stayed around -10 below freezing for a couple of weeks continually. The side roads just never thawed and the compacted snow just got polished up, even the main roads which were gritted would turn to slush during the day under the wheels of the passing traffic but then refreeze into a lumpy, rough surface again overnight. I continued to do my 10 miles each way commute by bicycle throughout and would laugh at the terrible tales of extended, bumper-to-bumper hellish commutes of the people that continued to try and drive to work :laugh:

From the Met Office:

8. Autumn and Fall
We typically think of 'fall' as the North American version of the word 'autumn', but it was in fact in widespread usage in England until relatively recently.

Originally a shortening of the phrase fall of the leaf, the phrase was common in England in the 17th century.

The word autumn entered English from the French automne and didn't become common usage until the 18th century.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thought about getting an early ride in at 5:30am this morning, but it was 7°. I think I’ll take that ride after work instead when it will be a more pleasant 18°. Not quite ready mentally to switch to the cooler weather. Anyone else feeling like this?
What happened?

Where did summer go?

I must have been distracted by other things.

Still there aren't many cold days down here in SW England. From memory there were typically 8 or 10 mornings each winter when I needed to scrape ice off the car windscreen back in my commuting days.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
From the Met Office:

8. Autumn and Fall
We typically think of 'fall' as the North American version of the word 'autumn', but it was in fact in widespread usage in England until relatively recently.

Originally a shortening of the phrase fall of the leaf, the phrase was common in England in the 17th century.

The word autumn entered English from the French automne and didn't become common usage until the 18th century.
There are lots of examples... trash, guess (suppose), gotten, faucet, closet, loan (verb), draft (select for service), diaper, and so on.

DRM

Guru
The weather has been all over the place, been unseasonably warm for weeks, chucked it down on Sunday , warm Monday and chucking it down this morning, then dried up this afternoon, most bizzare for mid October

Drago

Legendary Member
Why has Halloween turned into a 2 week long festival, instead of an evening long tribute to an american tradition that it always used to be?

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Thought about getting an early ride in at 5:30am this morning, but it was 7°. I think I’ll take that ride after work instead when it will be a more pleasant 18°. Not quite ready mentally to switch to the cooler weather. Anyone else feeling like this?

I’m over the moon that it’s cooler now. After six months of the hottest summer on record, this is a relief. :becool:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I just wish those leaves would fall off ASAP! From March/April to whenever, my kitchen is in darkness most days. It's so bad that i have to put the light on to see things even on sunny 'mad hot' days in July!

We get fewer hours of daylight in autumn/winter, but when those leaves have gone i can see much more in here!

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I just wish those leaves would fall off ASAP! From March/April to whenever, my kitchen is in darkness most days. It's so bad that i have to put the light on to see things even on sunny 'mad hot' days in July!

View attachment 614673

We get fewer hours of daylight in autumn/winter, but when those leaves have gone i can see much more in here!
Your hen looks like it has an egg stuck, it seems to be straining a fair bit

Top Bottom