Falling off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Having just read of another fall, I was wondering if I am just lucky or an uber cyclist, I've never fallen off. Sure, I've skidded on loose surfaces a few times, but fallen? Never.

On Sunday I was riding on the road about to join the canal towpath at Shipley, there, you have to ride up a standard kerb and enter the towpath through a gate. A middle aged guy (like me), all kitted up and riding a nice Surly something or other, was approaching from the other side so I hesitated to let him come through.

He paddled through the gate, set off cycling, left the towpath and dropped down the kerb onto the road, he looked at me, I looked at him, he said "Thank you", I nodded............then he fell off, just like that. He just didn't fall "plop" and get trapped either, with the bike on top of him, he rolled away from the bike, arms and legs whirling, like Neymar! I couldn't understand it, he was doing maybe 3mph! I checked that he was ok and he was embarrassed more than anything, well, you would be, but I just don't know how people do it. ^_^

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Having just read of another fall, I was wondering if I am just lucky or an uber cyclist, I've never fallen off. Sure, I've skidded on loose surfaces a few times, but fallen? Never.

On Sunday I was riding on the road about to join the canal towpath at Shipley, there, you have to ride up a standard kerb and enter the towpath through a gate. A middle aged guy (like me), all kitted up and riding a nice Surly something or other, was approaching from the other side so I hesitated to let him come through.

He paddled through the gate, set off cycling, left the towpath and dropped down the kerb onto the road, he looked at me, I looked at him, he said "Thank you", I nodded............then he fell off, just like that. He just didn't fall "plop" and get trapped either with the bike on top of him, he rolled away from the bike, arms and legs whirling, like Neymar! I couldn't understand it, he as doing maybe 3mph! I checked that he was ok and he was embarrassed more than anything, well, you would be, but I just don't know how people do it. ^_^

I've fallen off so many times it's not funny :laugh:
I do have Dyspraxia (balance problem) and going over a stone could unbalance me enough to make me fall!

I remember being off road and going uphill on a loose, dirt and gravel surface.
The momentum of the bike slowed, the hill was steep and my bike heavy, so I couldn't get it going again.
I ground to a halt, standing on the pedals and in slow motion, fell sideways, bike on top of me and all :wacko:
My husband said it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen. Lucky I love him eh?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was wondering about this too. I was at Dusseldorf airport on Monday having some nosh and ear-wigging three 40 to 50 something businessmen discussing cycling and the inevitable 'helmet saved my life' stories .... it occurred to me that these guys were having a lot more accidents and incidents than I'm having.
I do think a lot depends on where and when you ride. I don't commute any more so that would have a big effect. I also have 40 years experience including commuting in London for some years. But I think a large part of it is simply how you ride and respond to the circumstances around you. Some make better decisions than others I guess.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
fallen of twice so far, first on stoney track into the ditch full of stinging nettles second time last week going though the woods, bike slid slowly in the mud and i landed in said mud !:headshake:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Falling off an MTB is mandatory ! Simples.

Even did it twice last year commuting on the MTB on the Trans Pennine - hit really sticky mud and the front went. Flipping hilarious ! :laugh:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Saying nothing..........................:tongue:

Earlier MrsF reminded me of a fall, but as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't count. 2 summers ago I parked my bike against this wall by the viaduct and sat on it idly drinking my water, it was sunny, I had my bike and I felt really good, I sat there relaxing, I was so relaxed that I toppled backwards into the River Aire. :sad:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQp0DGbOB-dDl2rOyb-Xj9m_PKao4BxIgvsaEx6NGO3Z40ISYrg_g.jpg

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire

Earlier MrsF reminded me of a fall, but as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't count. 2 summers ago I parked my bike against this wall by the viaduct and sat on it idly drinking my water, it was sunny, I had my bike and I felt really good, I sat there relaxing, I was so relaxed that I toppled backwards into the River Aire. :sad:

Tea in keyboard....

Well if you're going to fall off you might as well do it in style.

ScotiaLass

Guru

That wasn't a fall, that was a controlled dive.....:welcome: (replace 'welcome' with a 5.5 :giggle:)

jhawk

Veteran
I've fell off so many times, it's not even fair!

My old trusty MTB has seen more scrapes in the road than I care to remember. I've had stones embedded in my palms, gravel rash getting infected... Coming off in spectacular style, over-the-handlebars... Colliding with a STATIONARY lamppost while chatting with a friend who was riding alongside me. She thought it was so funny that she had to stop, get off her bike, sit down and calm down and stop laughing, before we could get going again.

I went a tomato-coloured red with embarrassment... Bloody lampposts, being in my way!

Can't say, however, that I've ever sat on a wall, lost my balance, and back-flipped into a River. You poor, poor soul!

D

Deleted member 26715

Blimey..talk about tempting fate...

I was just thinking the same thing, so far I have never managed to do it, apart from a very ungainly dismount in the garage 2 weeks ago when I had unclipped & then without realising I had clipped back in again so when I came to put my left foot down it wouldn't initially release, but I managed to grab something to stop going down. Whenever I approach lights/gates/obstructions, I always make sure that I change gear to a low setting, so that when I go to set off again I'm probably in too low a gear, I have seen too many people not change gear so that when they set off they just can't push the pedal & keel over.

Alan...

A Cyclist

Über Member

my next desker caught me chuckling at the monitor..!

Top Bottom