Falling off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bryony

Veteran
Only had one mishap pretty much at a stand still! Was cycling to work there was loads of black ice on the road, was coming to a stop at a junction, as I stopped I put my foot on the ground, found the black ice and my foot slipped straight from under me and I ended up on my backside!! Only my pride was hurt!! :shy:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
... fell off my old MTB on black ice on the approach to a junction on minor road ... I worry I'm overdue to a real and painful crash.
This is what I did too... similar concern when I stop to think, but when I'm out riding I still enjoy going as fast as I can!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Only a few of note:-
2012 Front flat, downhill at 25mph still accelerating , aimed for hedge for softer landing (only partly helped)
2011 Diesel (didn't spot it but then smelt it, too late)
2010 2 offs in the ice, I don't ride in the ice now

Just remembered another one. Cycle chat meet Manchester velodrome 2009 ish
Changed hand position on corner (numpty), got run over by the 4 CC's behind me. @fossyant was up the other end looking to see what was going on and he fell off too :thumbsup:

presta

Guru
Last time was on a muddy towpath at Skipton in 2011, but I was only doing 3mph. Fortunately I went head first into the rhododendrons not into the drink. Before that I got a few scratches and bruises on a trip over a car bonnet. The worst was about 20 years ago when a crank broke, I couldn't sleep on my right side for about 3 weeks after that. I was black and blue, with a haematoma the size of an egg on my hip.

Sara_H

Guru
I've only ever fallen off when stationary. Example being leaning across to press the button at a toucan crossing. Another time I just fell off as I was dismounting- no particular reason!
OH falls off frequently and usually ends up in hospital, so he makes up for my lack of sudden Unintended dismounts.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Apart from three or four clipless moments, two proper prangs. One where I swerved round a speed bump at speed, only for my shoe to slip out of the cleat, my foot then shooting forward in between the wheel and frame, just as I was straightening up - or not, as turned out to be the case. Multiple lacerations, blood everywhere, then pads the size of a beer mat taped to knees, hip, thigh, forearm. The second, just hit a massive pothole going downhill...pretty similar upshot really. Can't help feeling I'm living on borrowed time, 'cos the last one was several years ago now...

(Interestingly, arguably, both times my head was completely unscathed. Some kind of survival instinct rollup? Don't know. Like they say, 'it all happened so quick'.)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
About five times recently. Four clipless and one dooring. All self inflicted, and none of them hurt too much. When I was twenty three, I ran straight into a brick wall on a long sweeping curve on an empty wide road. That didn't hurt either. I think that the huge quantity of ethanol swilling round my bloodstream may have helped .

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have only ever "fallen" off three times. Two clipless moments, one in Cambridge with a friend of my daughter in a car behind me, my daughter knew within seconds with a picture on face book. The second was on the Tissington trail in front of a group of youngsters. My first "off" was on my tourer about ten years ago where i missed a small bridge over a ditch(two railway sleepers wide) and went into the ditch and somersaulted over the top. Fortunately no one was around to see my embarrassment.:blush:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I had gone 4 years 20 odd thousand miles without one, then had it visit Tuesday tyre went literally bang just as I had started a fast corner, looking at my Garmin 20mph to 0 in about 3 seconds.

Horrible feeling everyone seems to think it was an inevitable event :sad:

Road rash is easy peasy can live with that, but the dislocated shoulder and black and blue bicep is bloody agony. Literally the only place that got hurt

Top Bottom