Falling out of love DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Anyone fall out of love with DIY? Currently paying someone to do our downstairs cloakroom. I used to do all my own projects but find myself time short these days . Think I need a boot up the arse

Slick

Guru
Nah, no boot required. Life's too short to waste any of it on DIY, plus I'm a great believer in leave every man to do his own job. Get the bike out. 👍

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I used to lots, for me and family, but shy away from all but essential maintenance, now.
Speaking of which, I have to paint around the window frame in the small bedroom this morning.

tom73

Guru
We rent so anything big is out but small day to day stuff i'm happy to do. Big painting jobs and stuff we get someone in just can't be doing with it.

Venod

Eh up
I used to be a big DIY person, there is nothing I wouldn't have a go at, because it was the cheapest option, the car was the first thing I stopped repairing/servicing, they are becoming too complicated plus the cars I now run are a lot better than the old ones, I have never liked decorating but have always done it, we are considering for the first time to get a proper man in. I spent some time on thursday changing the bath and basin taps, it didn't go well, there was a wooden batten preventing good access to the fasteners and when I did manage to fit them, leaks were a problem.
I have the Vacuum in pieces at the moment waiting for motor brushes, I have just replaced the power socket on the laptop motheboard and I will always DIY the bikes, so I have fallen out with the DIY jobs I don't like, but I still enjoy some, I won't tackle the taps again anytime soon.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think it's the same for many folk, me included.
I'd finish work Friday evening, have some tea then hit a particular job, say a living room. Carpet up, wallpaper down if used, new paint or paper, gloss, ceiling, new carpet..and I wouldn't go to bed until it was done.
NOW ?....it takes me ages to even consider a job...phhhh.
OA has hit me in many ways, when I get home from work, all I want to do is sit down and relax and ease out the aches...bogger DIY now (generally speaking)
A good (sadly late) friend of mine was a DIY fanatic...even he slid into indifference once he hit roughly 65.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ve done it all , new kitchen bathrooms , toilets. Did my own painting etc, this year since moving into our new place, I’ve done very little other than the garden. Paid painters to paint the whole inside of this house. Although i think I could of done the same or better it did save me time !
Funnily enough I like doing the small electrical jobs , two new outdoor sockets. Oh and I fix all our bike fleet as well.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Love it, something to do when you can't get out on the bike. I would not have my man cave if i did not DIY it myself. Many hours spent in it, the latest project is turning the loft into a gym, Will spend a bit of time up there with friends and family. Some people are just lazy.^_^

D

Deleted member 26715

Used to do everything, would never have a trade in the house, never did it right, always felt I could have done it better & the real reason we couldn't afford to do it if we paid somebody. We've taken walls down, moved doorways several times, but now I just can't get motivated, although I did put a new roller shutter door on the garage a few weeks back. But motivation especially this time of year is hard.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Used to do everything, would never have a trade in the house, never did it right, always felt I could have done it better & the real reason we couldn't afford to do it if we paid somebody. We've taken walls down, moved doorways several times, but now I just can't get motivated, although I did put a new roller shutter door on the garage a few weeks back. But motivation especially this time of year is hard.
Similar here, only thing is as a Cabinet Maker who worked in Shopfitting I generally can do it better. It's become a fair bit slower since I did my leg in but I still do most things (other than Plumbing)

keithmac

Guru
I'm on a DIY forum and I've seen some shocking "professional" jobs.

I enjoy tiling, I go to the far end of a fart and take ages over some awkward cuts. I'd be bankrupt if I did it as a job though!.

Amount of stuff I've fixed over the years in our house I dread to think what it would have all cost..

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I had just about "retired" from DIY.

Then, middle daughter split from her husband, who, supposedly "did nothing".

I am now back on the DIY trail, and, rather surprised at how much "Mr DidNothing" actually did ;)

Top Bottom