False economy ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It is a problem that seems to be common amongst us. We start off buying a frame which we think is a bargain price and then find the costs escalating when you start buying other parts. One way of reducing the costs is as has been mentioned is to buy a donor bike for the bits. I did that for a Carlton frame that I bought. I bought an old BSA TdF frame with components minus wheels to act as a donor. Everything was going to plan until I went to collect it. The seller had gone over the frame with an oily rag, it didn't look too bad.
That is where the doubts set in . I started to feel sorry for it as I swapped the bits over to make up my Carlton. In the end I had to satisfy my feelings for the BSA by building it up from borrowed parts. It rides well and I'm happy to have done it. Mind you my garage is becoming cramped.
One way to reduce the costs is if you can swap components between bikes, like wheels and saddle. It is also handy if a cycle should develop a fault you can swap bits over.

I like your Ducati. I've got a couple of old Monza Junior 160's in bits.
Yes l've come to realise that if lm patient and wait until l find the components l like and buy the best l can afford, it is a bit like money in the bank, in that if l decide to up grade another existing bike can do so with the good stuff acquired for the current build , if that makes sense grammatically ??
Im currently negotiating for Campagnolo chorus 8sp shifters and Racing T Triple front and rear derailleurs... this ain't no cheap pastime :whistle:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It is a problem that seems to be common amongst us. We start off buying a frame which we think is a bargain price and then find the costs escalating when you start buying other parts. One way of reducing the costs is as has been mentioned is to buy a donor bike for the bits. I did that for a Carlton frame that I bought. I bought an old BSA TdF frame with components minus wheels to act as a donor. Everything was going to plan until I went to collect it. The seller had gone over the frame with an oily rag, it didn't look too bad.
That is where the doubts set in . I started to feel sorry for it as I swapped the bits over to make up my Carlton. In the end I had to satisfy my feelings for the BSA by building it up from borrowed parts. It rides well and I'm happy to have done it. Mind you my garage is becoming cramped.
One way to reduce the costs is if you can swap components between bikes, like wheels and saddle. It is also handy if a cycle should develop a fault you can swap bits over.

So whats the chance of rebuilding one of the Monza bikes :smile:

wonderdog

You may have this manual already ... this is a repro ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ducati-1...557762?hash=item3d1b82bc42:g:RcsAAOSwrhhZ7VX4

Top Bottom