1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

False economy ?

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by woodbutcher, 22 Jan 2018.

1. wonderdog

wonderdog Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favour and opt for either Suntour Superbe or Superbe Pro kit. The derailleurs are marvellous ... three different models (Front and rear) through the 80s/early 90s. The hubs run sealed bearings and roll close to forever. Brakes (the latest models had concealed springs) and early pedals were made by Dia Compe if I recall proper. Later pedals - again sealed bearings - had removable cages. Terrific stuff .... biased?? Moi??? SR took Suntour over in the 90s and, whatever you do, don't be fooled by SR Suntour Superbe labelled stuff. It's not.

woodbutcher likes this.
  2. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I happily spent £230 about 10 years ago building up an old 531 frame with new wheels and a mix of second-and transmission bit and while I was happy (ish) with the result...its a bit of a frankenbike, a mix of old and modern with a couple of bodges that don' look pretty when close up...its hard to get everything you want without compromising...mainly driven by time and cost.
    It's been a very sturdy reliable comfortable commuting bike and I still have it.
    £1000 ?...unless you have a VERY clear idea of where you'e heading and how it' going to turn out...i couldn't personally.

3. I spent a small fortune when I restored and rebuilt these two Pugs.

Could I have done it for less money? Sure I could.

Would the process still have made me happy? Probably somewhat yes.

Would I have felt I'd cut corners? Definitely.

At the end of the day it is what it is. At the time I had the dosh to indulge so I chose to do them both to the higher end of things, others would have been happy to keep them looking like beaters with just a simple mechanically once over.

Horses for courses as they say, do what ever makes you happy, just be sure to keep the bikes after or except that you won't get back what you've put into it :okay:

Side View Angled.JPG IMG_0926.JPG

woodbutcher and Illaveago like this.
  4. Illaveago

Illaveago Veteran

It is a problem that seems to be common amongst us. We start off buying a frame which we think is a bargain price and then find the costs escalating when you start buying other parts. One way of reducing the costs is as has been mentioned is to buy a donor bike for the bits. I did that for a Carlton frame that I bought. I bought an old BSA TdF frame with components minus wheels to act as a donor. Everything was going to plan until I went to collect it. The seller had gone over the frame with an oily rag, it didn't look too bad.
    That is where the doubts set in . I started to feel sorry for it as I swapped the bits over to make up my Carlton. In the end I had to satisfy my feelings for the BSA by building it up from borrowed parts. It rides well and I'm happy to have done it. Mind you my garage is becoming cramped.
    One way to reduce the costs is if you can swap components between bikes, like wheels and saddle. It is also handy if a cycle should develop a fault you can swap bits over.

I like your Ducati. I've got a couple of old Monza Junior 160's in bits.

5. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

My approach to a build was a little different. I wanted an old-style steel tourer, 6-speed freewheel, and the friction shifters and related old components I grew up with. I wasn't interested in pristine cosmetic condition, I just wanted functionality with my own choice of components.

I picked up a Raleigh Royal frame with headset for £45, added a Biopace triple, Sountour derailleurs (inc lovely long-cage Vx rear almost mint), some NOS 27" wheels... etc.

The whole thing came to around £250 initially, to which I added £100 for a Brooks Cambium saddle. And it works beautifully.

I reckon my chances of finding a complete steel tourer with the components I wanted, all in tip-top condition, properly adjusted and spotlessly clean, would have been pretty slim.

raleighnut, woodbutcher and Illaveago like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Yes l've come to realise that if lm patient and wait until l find the components l like and buy the best l can afford, it is a bit like money in the bank, in that if l decide to up grade another existing bike can do so with the good stuff acquired for the current build , if that makes sense grammatically ??
    Im currently negotiating for Campagnolo chorus 8sp shifters and Racing T Triple front and rear derailleurs... this ain't no cheap pastime :whistle:

raleighnut likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

So whats the chance of rebuilding one of the Monza bikes :smile:

raleighnut likes this.
  8. wonderdog

Those little bevel drive Dukes are a joy. I still lust after a 350 Desmo with the twin filler fuel tank (among other things)

woodbutcher and raleighnut like this.
  9. wonderdog

You may have this manual already ... this is a repro ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ducati-1...557762?hash=item3d1b82bc42:g:RcsAAOSwrhhZ7VX4