1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

False economy ?

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by woodbutcher, 22 Jan 2018.

1. byegad

byegad Guru

1. Can you afford it?
    2. Would you rather spend the money on something else.

If the answer to 1. is Yes, and to 2. is no then do it.

2. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Bit of an update...l decided to take the plunge, spend so far totals including delivery/shipping.
    All in Euros, sorry about that :
    frame and forks 210
    triple chain set 60
    bottom br. 24
    wheels incl 8spd 220
    headset and front derailleur 70
    I'm not too unhappy with the cost up to now. :smile:

Illaveago and raleighnut like this.
  3. MiK1138

MiK1138 Über Member

There are worse things to spend your time and money on, I mean you could be collecting Routemaster Magazine and spending £800 quid building something you could buy at Hamleys for £40. If your enjoying the Build and the scrambling around for best deals on parts,(Ebay Ninja Style) then its money well spent and you have a bike at the end of it

4. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

You are dead right, l now realise that there is always an alternative thingummy whatever round the corner. Now l just message every seller lm interested in and ask for their best price delivered to France and every single one has allowed me a pretty good discount so far.

Illaveago, raleighnut and Threevok like this.
  5. bigjim

bigjim Veteran

I once stopped at a Tourist Office in a small French Town during a tour for directions. I assumed they would speak some English. On enquiring I was told very curtly by the woman in charge "Monsieur, In France you must speak French!" I then changed to my very bad French which she just about found acceptable. I wonder, do they think everybody travelling Europe must learn every language in order to tour?

6. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

I think you got a particularly stroppy one, but it is true that generally French people like you to at least try to speak French.Is it so different in the Uk if a French visitor asked directions only in French l wonder?

Illaveago, Dogtrousers and raleighnut like this.
  7. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

bigjim likes this.
  8. bigjim

bigjim Veteran

In the street or cafe I would, but I just thought a Tourist Office would be different. Actually I found more English language speakers correcting my French in McDonalds than anywhere else. I think the UK is nothing like France in this respect. We are much less likely to come across different European languages in everyday life, although, yes, that is changing. How often do you listen to French music or watch French films? Europeans are much more likely to be exposed to the English langauge throughout their life.

woodbutcher likes this.
  9. keithmac

keithmac Über Member

Very nice 748!, I've worked on a fair few Ducatis over the years and they are great on the open road but a right handfull slow speed town riding as you say.

Illaveago and woodbutcher like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Thats true l guess, after all English is the "lingua franca" in many countries so we get used to being understood when speaking our language to people from other European countries.

11. buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans Well-Known Member

With the exception of middle aged to older people, I believe that a large number of French people can actually understand slowly spoken English, but they mostly refuse to even attempt to speak to you in English because of their pride, or in other words they don't want to be seen or heard to make mistakes.

I lived in France for 10 years and would always prefer, by choice, to speak to any French person in English for the very reason that although I did have a basis of knowledge about their language, I didn't want to be seen or heard making mistakes!! A word I used ceaselessly in conversations with French people was "lentement" (slowly), the reason being that they gabble out their conversation so very fast that even some fluent people have great difficulty in understanding.

There is also the massive problems associated with regional dialects. Just as someone from Kent will have significant difficulty in understanding someone speaking with a broad Glaswegian accent, exactly the same happens in France, for instance, I know for a fact that a French person from Marseille has great difficulty in understanding someone from Epinal in Northern France.

12. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

This is the important point for me. I just having a project on the go and have renovated quite a few bikes that are absolutely worthless (I usually try to avoid spending much but even so, I often spend more than I like to admit and more than the end result is probably worth) but I just enjoy doing it for it's own sake.

13. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

14. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

True but is it all flash but no action ?