False economy ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
My French friends are very tolerant of my pretty awful French but usually at some point in the conversation they will look at me very seriously and say "you must learn to speak French" despite the fact that l thought l had been doing exactly that !
I once stopped at a Tourist Office in a small French Town during a tour for directions. I assumed they would speak some English. On enquiring I was told very curtly by the woman in charge "Monsieur, In France you must speak French!" I then changed to my very bad French which she just about found acceptable. I wonder, do they think everybody travelling Europe must learn every language in order to tour?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I once stopped at a Tourist Office in a small French Town during a tour for directions. I assumed they would speak some English. On enquiring I was told very curtly by the woman in charge "Monsieur, In France you must speak French!" I then changed to my very bad French which she just about found acceptable. I wonder, do they think everybody travelling Europe must learn every language in order to tour?
I think you got a particularly stroppy one, but it is true that generally French people like you to at least try to speak French.Is it so different in the Uk if a French visitor asked directions only in French l wonder?

bigjim

Legendary Member
I think you got a particularly stroppy one, but it is true that generally French people like you to at least try to speak French.Is it so different in the Uk if a French visitor asked directions only in French l wonder?
In the street or cafe I would, but I just thought a Tourist Office would be different. Actually I found more English language speakers correcting my French in McDonalds than anywhere else. I think the UK is nothing like France in this respect. We are much less likely to come across different European languages in everyday life, although, yes, that is changing. How often do you listen to French music or watch French films? Europeans are much more likely to be exposed to the English langauge throughout their life.

keithmac

Guru
If you will excuse the bike related pun ....your argument is the clincher for me ! It may take a while but l am going to stick with the project. Ive already done my share of your four spending examples and don't regret a single one . In fact one of them is stored in the ground floor of my bike workshop . Feast your eyes on this baby (if you aren't into motorbikes this is a Ducati 748s) It has actually increased in value since lve owned it !

Very nice 748!, I've worked on a fair few Ducatis over the years and they are great on the open road but a right handfull slow speed town riding as you say.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
In the street or cafe I would, but I just thought a Tourist Office would be different. Actually I found more English language speakers correcting my French in McDonalds than anywhere else. I think the UK is nothing like France in this respect. We are much less likely to come across different European languages in everyday life, although, yes, that is changing. How often do you listen to French music or watch French films? Europeans are much more likely to be exposed to the English langauge throughout their life.
Thats true l guess, after all English is the "lingua franca" in many countries so we get used to being understood when speaking our language to people from other European countries.

With the exception of middle aged to older people, I believe that a large number of French people can actually understand slowly spoken English, but they mostly refuse to even attempt to speak to you in English because of their pride, or in other words they don't want to be seen or heard to make mistakes.

I lived in France for 10 years and would always prefer, by choice, to speak to any French person in English for the very reason that although I did have a basis of knowledge about their language, I didn't want to be seen or heard making mistakes!! A word I used ceaselessly in conversations with French people was "lentement" (slowly), the reason being that they gabble out their conversation so very fast that even some fluent people have great difficulty in understanding.

There is also the massive problems associated with regional dialects. Just as someone from Kent will have significant difficulty in understanding someone speaking with a broad Glaswegian accent, exactly the same happens in France, for instance, I know for a fact that a French person from Marseille has great difficulty in understanding someone from Epinal in Northern France.

tyred

Legendary Member
Sometimes it's not the end product that matters, but the act of assembling that gives the reward. Everyone you ride a bike you built, it will mean more to you than simply buying a ready assembled one.

Journey rather than destination and all that.

But if it's purely about the money, then yeah, buy the bikes ready made. I like your idea of hanging the bike on the wall though as a reminder.

This is the important point for me. I just having a project on the go and have renovated quite a few bikes that are absolutely worthless (I usually try to avoid spending much but even so, I often spend more than I like to admit and more than the end result is probably worth) but I just enjoy doing it for it's own sake.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran

wonderdog

Do yourself a favour and opt for either Suntour Superbe or Superbe Pro kit. The derailleurs are marvellous ... three different models (Front and rear) through the 80s/early 90s. The hubs run sealed bearings and roll close to forever. Brakes (the latest models had concealed springs) and early pedals were made by Dia Compe if I recall proper. Later pedals - again sealed bearings - had removable cages. Terrific stuff .... biased?? Moi??? SR took Suntour over in the 90s and, whatever you do, don't be fooled by SR Suntour Superbe labelled stuff. It's not.

gbb

Legendary Member
I happily spent £230 about 10 years ago building up an old 531 frame with new wheels and a mix of second-and transmission bit and while I was happy (ish) with the result...its a bit of a frankenbike, a mix of old and modern with a couple of bodges that don' look pretty when close up...its hard to get everything you want without compromising...mainly driven by time and cost.
It's been a very sturdy reliable comfortable commuting bike and I still have it.
£1000 ?...unless you have a VERY clear idea of where you'e heading and how it' going to turn out...i couldn't personally.

I spent a small fortune when I restored and rebuilt these two Pugs.

Could I have done it for less money? Sure I could.

Would the process still have made me happy? Probably somewhat yes.

Would I have felt I'd cut corners? Definitely.

At the end of the day it is what it is. At the time I had the dosh to indulge so I chose to do them both to the higher end of things, others would have been happy to keep them looking like beaters with just a simple mechanically once over.

Horses for courses as they say, do what ever makes you happy, just be sure to keep the bikes after or except that you won't get back what you've put into it :okay:

Side View Angled.JPG IMG_0926.JPG

It is a problem that seems to be common amongst us. We start off buying a frame which we think is a bargain price and then find the costs escalating when you start buying other parts. One way of reducing the costs is as has been mentioned is to buy a donor bike for the bits. I did that for a Carlton frame that I bought. I bought an old BSA TdF frame with components minus wheels to act as a donor. Everything was going to plan until I went to collect it. The seller had gone over the frame with an oily rag, it didn't look too bad.
That is where the doubts set in . I started to feel sorry for it as I swapped the bits over to make up my Carlton. In the end I had to satisfy my feelings for the BSA by building it up from borrowed parts. It rides well and I'm happy to have done it. Mind you my garage is becoming cramped.
One way to reduce the costs is if you can swap components between bikes, like wheels and saddle. It is also handy if a cycle should develop a fault you can swap bits over.

I like your Ducati. I've got a couple of old Monza Junior 160's in bits.

Alan O

Über Member
My approach to a build was a little different. I wanted an old-style steel tourer, 6-speed freewheel, and the friction shifters and related old components I grew up with. I wasn't interested in pristine cosmetic condition, I just wanted functionality with my own choice of components.

I picked up a Raleigh Royal frame with headset for £45, added a Biopace triple, Sountour derailleurs (inc lovely long-cage Vx rear almost mint), some NOS 27" wheels... etc.

The whole thing came to around £250 initially, to which I added £100 for a Brooks Cambium saddle. And it works beautifully.

I reckon my chances of finding a complete steel tourer with the components I wanted, all in tip-top condition, properly adjusted and spotlessly clean, would have been pretty slim.

Top Bottom