False economy ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
It cuts both ways. I once bought a full bike just for the chainset and saved a few bob............then paid over the odds for a SABA panto'd stem for my SABA colection :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. It all depends what your budget was to start out with. A grand's not bad for a custom built bike with exactly the parts you want. And you're getting the labour for free ;)

Of course if you purposely set out to challenge yourself to penny-pinch and see how little you could pay and if were prepared to put up with not getting exactly the components you want. Then you're doing it wrong.
True, the labour for me is the best bit. I don't want to penny pinch but obviously l would like to get as a good deal on the parts l need.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A grand's not bad for a custom built bike with exactly the parts you want.

In the scheme of things that's true, but a bike that is custom built from secondhand piecemeal sourced parts is likely to have a fair bit of wear & tear on many of the parts.. It's not such a bargain if things have to be replaced again prematurely at a relatively low mileage because they were already half worn out when they were fitted.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Sorry, but this is why people buy new bikes. I’m all for saving where it’s prudent, but with a bicycle I reckon you’d be better off - emotionally, physically but perhaps not financially - getting a bike made or a decent off-the-shelf. You know all the components are working, not worn and guaranteed should any fail.

BSOh

Über Member
I couldn't afford to spend a grand on a project. But I'm currently spending what I consider to be too much on a Raleigh twenty. I'll have probably spend just over £200 by the time I've finished. Id be lucky to get near half that, more like a third if I sold it. But I'm really enjoying the process. It's great fun potching about, and I've spent many happy hours reading about the little bikes. I have learned so much.

The way I see it, if it gives you enjoyment then go for it. As long as you cut your cloth accordingly and pick a project you can afford then do it. Whether its 200 or 1000, the enjoyment is the same. Its not about the end product, its the process of getting to the end product.

Edit to add: and because you enjoyed it and spwnt time on it, its likely you'll end up with something you'll treasure

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
In the scheme of things that's true, but a bike that is custom built from secondhand piecemeal sourced parts is likely to have a fair bit of wear & tear on many of the parts.. It's not such a bargain if things have to be replaced again prematurely at a relatively low mileage because they were already half worn out when they were fitted.
I guess what l am trying to achieve is probably a contradiction but the idea is to take the vintage steel frame and as carefully as possible blend it with new or vgc parts, with a few surprises thrown in l hope !!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I couldn't afford to spend a grand on a project. But I'm currently spending what I consider to be too much on a Raleigh twenty. I'll have probably spend just over £200 by the time I've finished. Id be lucky to get near half that, more like a third if I sold it. But I'm really enjoying the process. It's great fun potching about, and I've spent many happy hours reading about the little bikes. I have learned so much.

The way I see it, if it gives you enjoyment then go for it. As long as you cut your cloth accordingly and pick a project you can afford then do it. Whether its 200 or 1000, the enjoyment is the same. Its not about the end product, its the process of getting to the end product.
I like your style and believe me if my conscience ( some refer to her as my partner) finds out l will be picking projects out of my butt for the foreseeable future :sweat:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Sorry, but this is why people buy new bikes. I’m all for saving where it’s prudent, but with a bicycle I reckon you’d be better off - emotionally, physically but perhaps not financially - getting a bike made or a decent off-the-shelf. You know all the components are working, not worn and guaranteed should any fail.
Yeah granted l could drop in to a bike shop but l want to be more hands on!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yeah granted l could drop in to a bike shop but l want to be more hands on!

I see very little for sale in bike shops that I would even want to buy. If I was spending serious money I would want a British-built lugged & brazed high quality frame for starters, and that would rule out 99.99% of anything you can buy in a bike shop new.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I see very little for sale in bike shops that I would even want to buy. If I was spending serious money I would want a British-built lugged & brazed high quality frame for starters, and that would rule out 99.99% of anything you can buy in a bike shop new.
The only modern bike l really would have loved to own was in my LBS , owned incidentally by a guy who's name is Thierry Tran Duc ( no relation to the rugby legend). Thierry said to me he had a nice bike in my size and oh boy it was a stunning titanium frame beauty for a mere €7000 . I tried to look unimpressed but l don't think l fooled him :whistle:

Top Bottom