False economy ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Step away from the calculator:stop:

Yes, it is madness: but no more or less than spending money on a “nice” car or jacket or bottle scotch or travelling 300 miles to that away game.

You could buy a nice bike, but you have done that, so here the pleasure is in the anticipation: the searching for the right part at the right price and finally, and no need to tell you this, when the bike is finished, knowing that “I put that together”

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Step away from the calculator:stop:

Yes, it is madness: but no more or less than spending money on a “nice” car or jacket or bottle scotch or travelling 300 miles to that away game.

You could buy a nice bike, but you have done that, so here the pleasure is in the anticipation: the searching for the right part at the right price and finally, and no need to tell you this, when the bike is finished, knowing that “I put that together”
If you will excuse the bike related pun ....your argument is the clincher for me ! It may take a while but l am going to stick with the project. Ive already done my share of your four spending examples and don't regret a single one . In fact one of them is stored in the ground floor of my bike workshop . Feast your eyes on this baby (if you aren't into motorbikes this is a Ducati 748s) It has actually increased in value since lve owned it !

Attachments

• cyprus boats and various of ted 013.jpg
    cyprus boats and various of ted 013.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 38
Feast your eyes on this baby (if you aren't into motorbikes this is a Ducati 748s) It has actually increased in value since lve owned it !

That is one jaw dropping and generally gobsmacking beauty of a Ducati, was it from the UK or did you buy it in France?

I don't know if you register an originally UK registered bike such as that in France, does the max. power have to be turned down to their max 100bhp limit?

As for your OP, yes grab life by the balls and build your very special beauty of a road bike, when finished it will give you years and years of smiles per mile.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you will excuse the bike related pun ....your argument is the clincher for me ! It may take a while but l am going to stick with the project. Ive already done my share of your four spending examples and don't regret a single one . In fact one of them is stored in the ground floor of my bike workshop . Feast your eyes on this baby (if you aren't into motorbikes this is a Ducati 748s) It has actually increased in value since lve owned it !
I used to lust after Tony Rutter's 750 Ducati.

View: https://youtu.be/YL-TkaTbHa0

The man himself is leaning on the workshop door. :notworthy:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
That is one jaw dropping and generally gobsmacking beauty of a Ducati, was it from the UK or did you buy it in France?

I don't know if you register an originally UK registered bike such as that in France, does the max. power have to be turned down to their max 100bhp limit?

As for your OP, yes grab life by the balls and build your very special beauty of a road bike, when finished it will give you years and years of smiles per mile.
I have kept it with uk reg. for the tune down reason. NO ONE touches my Ducati with the intention of de-tuning it . And the French guys l know just worship it enough said recon :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
I've been thinking of getting a Hayabusa. With a new (possibly a turbo?) one due soon I could persuade Mrs D that its an investment?

@woodbutcher That's a nice looking Monoposto.

uoNORHX.jpg

This is a bike I have had since the 90s. Nothing special by todays standards, but for sentimental reasons I tarted it all up last year. New forks, full dura ace 7800 and the frame was powder coated. I have done about 30 miles on it since! Waste of money in real terms, but the few times I ride it, I love it. You can not put a monetary figure on that :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 392721

This is a bike I have had since the 90s. Nothing special by todays standards, but for sentimental reasons I tarted it all up last year. New forks, full dura ace 7800 and the frame was powder coated. I have done about 30 miles on it since! Waste of money in real terms, but the few times I ride it, I love it. You can not put a monetary figure on that :smile:
Be easier to ride with some pedals on. :whistle:

mustang1

Guru
Sometimes it's not the end product that matters, but the act of assembling that gives the reward. Everyone you ride a bike you built, it will mean more to you than simply buying a ready assembled one.

Journey rather than destination and all that.

But if it's purely about the money, then yeah, buy the bikes ready made. I like your idea of hanging the bike on the wall though as a reminder.

I have kept it with uk reg. for the tune down reason. NO ONE touches my Ducati with the intention of de-tuning it . And the French guys l know just worship it enough said recon :smile:

The bloke who bought my property and business close to Montignac has a Caterham 7 with a stonking 200+bhp engine and there is no way he would be able to get it onto French plates for type approval reasons so he brings it back to the UK for the MOT and pays the VED and UK insurance................. is that what you do?

I was of the opinion that any vehicle permanently kept in France had to be registered over there within 6 months of importation, correct me if I am wrong. When I imported my beloved LR Defender 90 which I thought was a station wagon, it was only when I went through the damnable red tape processes that it turned out it had started life as a van (camionnette) and the stick in the mud country that it is would only recognise it as such, which didn't bother me too much apart from the fact that I had to have it Controle Technique tested (the French version of the MOT) every single year!!

Top Bottom