False economy ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
As posted elsewhere l have begun to collect bits for a sefbuild and so far l have a frame, a triple chainset and a bottom bracket, total cost to date inc. delivery £283.69.
Having nothing better to do this very wet morning l thought l would estimate the cost of the rest of the build using whatever looked appropriate from eBay . I know eBay is a mixed blessing but l just wanted a rough estimate.....so here goes :
Wheels £230
cassette £50
brake callipers £60-70
front derailleur £56
chain £15
headset£50
seat stem £25
saddle £35
handlebars and stem £50
STI shifters £100
These prices are just a rough average but you get the picture. Add that lot up and it is very close to £1000.00
I am thinking what the hell am l doing ? l could buy at least two really nice vintage steel bikes for the same money. So do l cut my losses and re-sell what l have ( or hang them on the workshop wall as a warning )
What do you all think, feel free to let rip at me one way or t'other :cuppa:

Drago

Legendary Member
If it makes you smile, then its worth every penny.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I am thinking what the hell am l doing ? l could buy at least two really nice vintage steel bikes for the same money. So do l cut my losses and re-sell what l have ( or hang them on the workshop wall as a warning )
What do you all think, feel free to let rip at me one way or t'other :cuppa:

I think you're nuts personally! :laugh:

There's people on eBay who make a profit from dismantling whole bikes and then selling them off as parts. To me, you are going about a self-build the wrong way.
You'd be better off buying a complete project bike, or even two or three complete project bikes, hopefully cheaply, and mixing and matching the best set of components from whatever pile of bits you end up with. I've actually bought a couple of really cheap complete bikes (99p eBay special sort of cheap) just because I wanted alloy wheels, a saddle, pedals etc. There's no way I would build up a bike from individually sourced used parts.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I reached the same point rather sooner/cheaper, having bought a frame off ebay. I got as far as one wheel before deciding 'this is bonkers' - for the very reason you cite - and cut my losses by selling, and buying a really nice old Claude Butler for a fraction of what would have been the cost. Unless you're really into the frame, I'd get out now.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I think you're nuts personally! :laugh:

There's people on eBay who make a profit from dismantling whole bikes and then selling them off as parts. To me, you are going about a self-build the wrong way.
You'd be better off buying a complete project bike, or even two or three complete project bikes, hopefully cheaply, and mixing and matching the best set of components from whatever pile of bits you end up with. I've actually bought a couple of really cheap complete bikes (99p eBay special sort of cheap) just because I wanted alloy wheels, a saddle, pedals etc. There's no way I would build up a bike from individually sourced used parts.
The buy and break bikes for parts to sell on does look depressingly common, you are right. That is what made me think l was doing it all wrong ...time for a rethink !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I reached the same point rather sooner/cheaper, having bought a frame off ebay. I got as far as one wheel before deciding 'this is bonkers' - for the very reason you cite - and cut my losses by selling, and buying a really nice old Claude Butler for a fraction of what would have been the cost. Unless you're really into the frame, I'd get out now.
The frame is nice but nothing special, and nowhere as good as the complete restored Viner l could have bought but haven't !!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What sort of bike are you aiming to end up with exactly? If you start out with a complete project donor bike that is basically the same kind of machine as you desire, there should be less need to swap out things and much less expense involved. I like the idea of a degree of customisation, but I would not want to pay more for a mongrel than a pedigree if you see what I mean.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I spent a grand building this up and that's not counting the frame which came with the seatpost and the headset, both Campagnolo, hence the rest of the build being Campagnolo too (apart from the brakes)

DSCN0052.JPG

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
What sort of bike are you aiming to end up with exactly? If you start out with a complete project donor bike that is basically the same kind of machine as you desire, there should be less need to swap out things and much less expense involved. I like the idea of a degree of customisation, but I would not want to pay more for a mongrel than a pedigree if you see what I mean.
The idea l had was to build a bike with a mix of modern components i.e. shifters and wheels but using a vintage steel frame. But you are right, the finished mongrel would probably be worth no more than a third of its build cost !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
By comparison I just spend two grand putting a rebuilt engine in the car I spent two grand to buy 10 years ago.
I guess l was foolishly hoping for a definitive opinion/answer and of course they isn't one. Same old story "it is worth what you are prepared to pay" and worth is not defined solely by financial measurement . Seems to be what you and raleighnut are saying as well !

Top Bottom