Family Bike Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MahatmaAndhi

Hi all,

I recently bought my first ever brand new bike and I'd like to get it insured. Whilst I'm getting mine insured, I'd also like to get my wife and her bike insured too.
It looks like lots of companies encourage multi-bike cover. However, they never give me an option to put her name on the policy. This suggests that I am covered on her bike as well as my own and get all the benefits - public liability, loss of earnings etc. But she doesn't?

Could anyone recommend a company that makes it clear who is covered and for what please?

We're both commuters. Never competitive and UK only.

Cheers.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
After using a couple of bike-specific policies, I discovered that it was far cheaper to insure multiple bikes by putting them on my household contents insurance. Also, they tend not to have so many weasel exclusions for wriggling out of paying up. Give your insurer a ring.

OP
OP
MahatmaAndhi

MahatmaAndhi

Please tell us what you are looking to insure. The bikes for theft? Public liability? Loss of earnings? The bikes for damage?

All of the above. The house insurance is covered up to £1,000 (which covers either bike separately) and we're happy to use that if needs be. But that doesn't cover us out and about. Theft and liability are the biggies. But, depending on the price, additional extras such as accessory cover, legal cover etc.
Budget is around £110ish per year.

Just looking at EverSure, but my shed needs a 5-lever padlock or deadlock or else it's not covered by them anyway. That said, I could still get it and claim on the home insurance if they're stolen from here and the bike insurance elsewhere.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Do what I do then - £12 pa public liability with cycle plan. List the bikes on your home ins for theft and get an add on on your home ins for family legal cover so you can claim against others.

vickster

Legendary Member
Add away from home cover to your home insurance? Have you spoken to them? Adds pennies to my policy cost. Obviously check the excess and potential impact on future policy costs should you claim

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I didn't ask for liability cover on my home contents insurance but the bikes are certainly covered against theft when we're out and about.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I forget the exact term but get your bikes named on your policy as personal items away from home. If you have a good insurer this will give you world wide cover.

Most household insurance is pretty similar. I always chose mine on the basis of the cycle cover. I sometimes end up paying £30-50 more than the cheapest quote but compared to stand alone cycle insurance it's a good deal.

Be sure to use a name and brand you recognise.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi all,

I recently bought my first ever brand new bike and I'd like to get it insured. Whilst I'm getting mine insured, I'd also like to get my wife and her bike insured too.
It looks like lots of companies encourage multi-bike cover. However, they never give me an option to put her name on the policy. This suggests that I am covered on her bike as well as my own and get all the benefits - public liability, loss of earnings etc. But she doesn't?

Could anyone recommend a company that makes it clear who is covered and for what please?

We're both commuters. Never competitive and UK only.

Cheers.
Why do you want to insure your wife?

OP
OP
MahatmaAndhi

MahatmaAndhi

So the wife called the home insurance people who provided us with home and away cover and legal cover. Then, as sleuthey suggested, got PA cover from Cycle Plan (with a 30% Black Friday deal).

Oddly, despite the increase in cover, the home insurance came down by 50p for the year. Cash back!

We also have life insurance and health insurance anyway. So I'm pretty sure we're covered for just about any eventuality.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Top Bottom