Family nearly killed today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaded

Of course it is a Bad Idea.

However it happens and drivers should be prepared for it, despite the "lot of other things to concentrate on".

Mr Pig

Jaded said:
If driving a car was subject to the same rigourous scrutiny as flying a plane your posts would be laughable, if not criminal.

Yeah, you're full of daft if and buts. If the above were implimented most of us would be walking! You've never crashed your bike because you made a split second error of judgment? You've never pranged your car, if you have one? We're not robots, we can't drive flawlesly for hours on end and anyone who's been driving for more than a few years knows that it's by God's grace they've not been in more colisions rather than their own perfect driving, except you obviosly!

Although I do think driver training should be a lot better there is only some much you can do. People will always make mistakes and the driving enviroment should help them live to talk about when they do.

Why don't you ask the police if they think it's ok for you to drive your car at thirty on the moroway? Let me know what they say will you?

Jaded

Drivers are in charge of potentially lethal equipment.

In other walks of life there are rigourous training and tight procedures The sanctions for non compliance are strong. Driving a car, however, is not under those controls and it appears to engender a load of "get out of my way you cock" and "Oh, dear, someone was killed. Only a mistake though, so that's OK" from people who should know better.

Frankly the "split second error of judgment" is a red herring. Split seconds of judgement turn into bad things if the driver is making assumptions - about other drivers, about road conditions, about their ability.

You ask the police if it is OK to have your car limp at 30 mph from Lane 3 to the hard shoulder after a mech failure or puncture on the motorway. Let me know what they say will you?

ScaredCyclist

I cant believe what you are all arguing about here!!
Have you not read the link that 'RufusA' posted???

This was a fatal crash on the M25 which killed 6 people, because a lorry was driving 19mph!!!

Anyone driving WELL under the speed limit on a motorway is really not quiet firing on all cylinders.

A speed limit is there not just as a limit, but as a guide for what speed is deemed 'safe' on that road.
Motorways are 70mph for a reason and driving anything under 50 is dangerous.
I also appreciate that it is the job of every driver to be alert and watch out for any potential danger.
But do we now also have to look out for George & Mildred driving at 30 on the motorway in the middle lane aswell!!!??

Just bloody amazes me some of the comments.
Ask a police officer/traffic officer they will agree that driving too slow is almost as dangerous as too fast.
I knew someone that was fined for driving too slow!!!!

Anyway my rant is over....

New drivers should have to take a motorway test i think, as there are too many nervous drivers that are a liability.

As for the knobs in 4X4's, BMW's & Audi's etc driving 110mph up your bum crack, well dont get me started on them. ;)

I normally just dont move, i wont slow down as its a bit dodgy doing that if you are going above 70mph.
I also wont speed up, i just remain at my speed and stay there just to annoy them.
When they flash their lights in my mirror i flash them the bird. xx(
Its so amusing watching some middle aged suited man get all stroppy cuz i wont move my little clio out the way!! ha ha ha :blush:

Yes i know its childish, but it annoys the hell out of me when i am only in the 'fast' lane as i am over taking a bloody middle lane driver in the 1st place!!
To then be flashed because i am there just is unbelievable!!
I NEVER over take slowly either i always make sure i am within the flow of the traffic so there is NO reason for these tailgaters to flash me or get up my bumper.
Stupid idiots, they never get much further.

LLB

ScaredCyclist said:
I cant believe what you are all arguing about here!!
Have you not read the link that 'RufusA' posted???

This was a fatal crash on the M25 which killed 6 people, because a lorry was driving 19mph!!!

Anyone driving WELL under the speed limit on a motorway is really not quiet firing on all cylinders.

A speed limit is there not just as a limit, but as a guide for what speed is deemed 'safe' on that road.
Motorways are 70mph for a reason and driving anything under 50 is dangerous.
I also appreciate that it is the job of every driver to be alert and watch out for any potential danger.
But do we now also have to look out for George & Mildred driving at 30 on the motorway in the middle lane aswell!!!??

Just bloody amazes me some of the comments.
Ask a police officer/traffic officer they will agree that driving too slow is almost as dangerous as too fast.
I knew someone that was fined for driving too slow!!!!

Anyway my rant is over....

New drivers should have to take a motorway test i think, as there are too many nervous drivers that are a liability.

As for the knobs in 4X4's, BMW's & Audi's etc driving 110mph up your bum crack, well dont get me started on them. ;)

I normally just dont move, i wont slow down as its a bit dodgy doing that if you are going above 70mph.
I also wont speed up, i just remain at my speed and stay there just to annoy them.
When they flash their lights in my mirror i flash them the bird. xx(
Its so amusing watching some middle aged suited man get all stroppy cuz i wont move my little clio out the way!! ha ha ha :blush:

Yes i know its childish, but it annoys the hell out of me when i am only in the 'fast' lane as i am over taking a bloody middle lane driver in the 1st place!!
To then be flashed because i am there just is unbelievable!!
I NEVER over take slowly either i always make sure i am within the flow of the traffic so there is NO reason for these tailgaters to flash me or get up my bumper.
Stupid idiots, they never get much further.

The 70mph on motorways is marked as the limit, not the target.

Many vehicles cannot maintain 50mph on some of the hills, and many are speed limited for their and the safety of others given their mass.

Without looking it up, can you name the speed limits of the different vehicles on single, dual and motorways as your post indicates an ignorance of the speed limitations in law of commercial and towing vehicles ?

ScaredCyclist

I didnt say that 70mph is a target speed, it is the speed limit, the maximum speed.
What i mean is it is also an indication of the speed of the flow of the traffic on that road.
Driving much slower can be also dangerous is what i was saying.
Yes i am aware there are speed limitations on heavy goods vehicles, commerical vehicles, coaches etc.
That is why they should not be in the outside lane on a motorway, because they travel too slowly, but i have seen it happen.
I did say UNDER 50mph also and the fact that it is all our responsibility as a driver to notice slower vehicles.

But i was referring to the tragic crash as a result of a lorry going 19mph and drivers randomly driving slow for no reason.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crashes like that are not due to lorries driving too slowly, but due to fu<kwit(s) behind them going too fast and not paying enough attention to be able to stop. There are often reasons to have to stop on a motorway, so trying to blame slow drivers is contemptible.

Jaded

ScaredCyclist said:
I didnt say that 70mph is a target speed, it is the speed limit, the maximum speed.
What i mean is it is also an indication of the speed of the flow of the traffic on that road.

How can it be if it is the maximum? All it indicates is the maximum, nothing else.

The best indication of the speed of the flow of traffic on that road comes from your eyes.

ScaredCyclist

BentMikey said:
Crashes like that are not due to lorries driving too slowly, but due to fu<kwit(s) behind them going too fast and not paying enough attention to be able to stop. There are often reasons to have to stop on a motorway, so trying to blame slow drivers is contemptible.

So you are saying that the polish lorry driver driving at 19mph did not cause the crash??

Baring in mind this crash happened in the dark aswell.

LLB

ScaredCyclist said:
So you are saying that the polish lorry driver driving at 19mph did not cause the crash??

Hmmm, he does have a point on this one. Do you recall the minibus crash on the M50 a few years ago which claimed the lives of a load of school kids when it ran in to the back of a cone laying van. Since then the have redesigned all of these vans with a large energy absorbing buffer on the back and huge lit direction arrow sineage to steer the cars around it whilst it works.

Jaded

ScaredCyclist said:

Unless he was going 19mph backwards, no! He may have made it more likely to happen but wasn't the cause.

Dark? Goodness.

I guess one answer might be to see if we can make lights and reflectors compulsory?

domtyler

Über Member
I often put my hazards on if I need to slow down suddenly on the M Way, seems like a sensible precaution to me.

This is a difficult one though, BM and co are right technically, and this is borne out by the law as the person going up the ass is almost always at fault. However driving at 19mph on a M Way with no hazards or other warning to others also seems irresponsible at best.

Top Bottom