Family nearly killed today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaded

Joe24 said:
So you purposly slowed down the truck on a hill(on a motorway?), because he sat close to you?

So you think it is OK for an HGV to tailgate a car?

It's one thing for them to do it to another HGV; the chances are that only the tailgating driver will be killed.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There's nothing wrong or dangerous with slowing down in nearly all cases. To say different is simple impatient get out of my road rubbish.

Mr Pig

Animal said:
Mostly from brown-toothed, poverty stricken plebs in shoot cars.

Ehhh, guess you owe me another apology! ;0)

I was joking, but I do think cyclists should have to pass a test, say before they get to eighteen. Anyone using our roads should have to demonstrate that they know how to.

I wouldn't make too much of it. It happened so long ago that I can't remember who was right or wrong. At that time I would have only recently passed my test and might have been sitting at fifty on a busy trunk road. Although soon I was driving at ninety everywhere!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Jaded said:

It's one thing for them to do it to another HGV; the chances are that only the tailgating driver will be killed.

When did i say that?
What i ment was that to react by braking hard, slowing it right down and making it hard for the truck to get back to speed is unsafe. Not to the driver because it would have had a trailor behind, but to other car drivers. There could have been a family killed there. Theres alot of 'what-ifs' involved.
There are better ways to react then to endanger someone elses life. Which if you read my post properly you will/should notice.

Joe24

Mr Pig said:
Why do I feel like Father Dougal McGuire right now? ;0)

These ones are small. The ones out there are faaaar away...

We were being tailgated by a truck one day. My mate in the passenger seat said 'Hang on a minute and we'll sort him out'. Just as we started going up a hill he said 'quick, slow right down'. I slowed to about forty and the truck had to slow too. Then we sped off up the hill and the truck, which had lost all its momentum disappeared into the distance! My mate gave him the finger out of the window, which I thought was uncalled for, but funny.
Ok now then Jaded?
He slowed to fourty, no need for heavy braking. Infact, i dont even know where i even mentioned heavy braking:wacko:
Do you know how long it will be for a truck, that lets say weighs full 44tonnes, going uphill to get back to a motorway cruising speed.
Can you not see the dangers of having a truck going along doing 40mph, with other cars and trucks going past.
Do you think making a truck slow to 4omph on a hill to be a safe thing to do on a motoway?
Why has the pot and kettle been mentioned?

Jaded

You didn't mention "heavy braking" you said "braking hard". He didn't.

You just need to read the post of yours timed 16:53.

You embellished his post to try to make your point.

PBancroft

Oh for pities sake. Mr Pig has held his hands up and said it wasn't the smartest thing to do, and we all know that a tailgating HGV isn't pleasant or safe for the car in front. I imagine that being grown adults here we would all follow the Highway Code and pull over to let the tailgating vehicle pass.

Why are we arguing semantics?

Joe24

I'm not botherd about it. I dont see where i said it was good for a HGV do do it.
The heavy braking doesnt matter, its the speed that does matter. I take it you, Jaded think its fine for a HGV to be going along at 40mph with other cars going much faster?
You seem to be bringing this braking thing into it, i dont care about the braking, it was the speed at which he slowed to. Now will i need to re write that for you to understand?
Now, if you really want to post back again then answer some of my questions. If not then dont bother to reply.
Thank you

Jaded

You mentioned heavy braking when there was no indication of this in the original post. If you don't care about it, why did you introduce it? It seems you are looking at this from a biased position.

Regardless of the actual reason, the car could have slowed for any number of other reasons: engine/technical failure, driver illness, debris on the road. The HGV was totally in the wrong and precipitated what happened. HGVs are normally driven by trained professional drivers and they should know better than to tailgate cars. The speed is irrelevant.

Joe24

BentMikey said:
Joe, can you explain how an HGV going at 40 on a motorway type road is dangerous?

Of course.
If you go by the speed limit of 70mph. 40mph is 30mph slower. Thus meaning that 'if' a driver wasnt paying the proper attention, they could still think that the truck is going faster and approach it too quick. A collision could happen, or the truck which is tailgating another truck or car hits the back of the car infront. Sandwhiching the car or truck. To find out more go and driver down a motorway at 40mph.
I do not think that its ok for a HGV to tailgate. However, slowing it down on a hill wasnt the best responce to the situation IMO.
Ok, maybe i did bring in the heavy braking, but i think i just miss interpreted that post.

Mr Pig

You know what, now that I think about I don't think the truck was doing forty. I think it was fifty.

No wait, maybe it was sixty. And it might not have been a truck, maybe it was an elephant!

Maybe I dreamt it. What day is it? :0.

Joe24

Mr Pig said:
You know what, now that I think about I don't think the truck was doing forty. I think it was fifty.

No wait, maybe it was sixty. And it might not have been a truck, maybe it was an elephant!

Maybe I dreamt it. What day is it? :0.
Now that is a very good point.
50mph, well that just makes it worserer;)

Jaded

Joe24 said:
Of course.
If you go by the speed limit of 70mph. 40mph is 30mph slower. Thus meaning that 'if' a driver wasnt paying the proper attention, they could still think that the truck is going faster and approach it too quick. A collision could happen, or the truck which is tailgating another truck or car hits the back of the car infront. Sandwhiching the car or truck. To find out more go and driver down a motorway at 40mph.
I do not think that its ok for a HGV to tailgate. However, slowing it down on a hill wasnt the best responce to the situation IMO.
Ok, maybe i did bring in the heavy braking, but i think i just miss interpreted that post.

What is the speed limit for an HGV on a motorway?

I don't think it is 70.

"Thus meaning that 'if' a driver wasnt paying the proper attention, they could still think that the truck is going faster and approach it too quick."

Is this the fault of the slower driver in front or the inattentive driver behind...

"Ok, maybe i did bring in the heavy braking, but i think i just miss interpreted that post."

I think you did, and it caused two pages of tailbacks, but the jam is cleared now. :biggrin:

Top Bottom