Family nearly killed today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trillian

When i did my test for it (through the uni, i use uni vehicles) I was informed that it had just changed to allow mini busses to use the third lane and also to use bus lanes and 70 was allowed on the motorway (unless a lower limit in force).

when I collected the afore mentioned vehicle I was told it had a restrictor but everything else and road rules were all as any of the other vehicles. the person telling me this was the guy who'd overseen my test so i trusted his knowlage

I am aware that ignorance of the law is not a defense

the vehicles I drive can't exceed three tonnes, those listed seem to apply to 7.5T + such as busses and coaches...

slightly ambiguous wording really.

Mr Pig

I'm just happy that trucks are 'not' allowed in the 'fast' lane. You'd have three-lane elephant races all over the place.

domd1979

Veteran
Just consulted Croners Coach & Bus Operations - which is basically the standard reference used in the industry. It says (relevant bit in bold):

"Passenger vehicles first registered before 1 January 2005, constructed or adapted to carry nine or more seated passengers in addition to the driver, exceeding 7.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight (GVW) and required to have a speed limiter fitted are not allowed to use the outside lane of motorways which have three or more lanes (except in an emergency, when passing an abnormally wide load or when directed to do so by a police or traffic officer in uniform). Passenger vehicles as defined above, irrespective of GVW, first used on or after 1 January 2005, which are legally required to be fitted with a speed limiter, are not allowed to use the outside lane of motorways as described above."

Bit clearer than the Highway Code at any rate!

Should also be a notice in the minibus cab stating what the limiter is set to which will generally be 100kph (65mph-ish).

Person doing the training should really know about the law on the motorway, so might be worth mentioning to them!

Trillian said:
When i did my test for it (through the uni, i use uni vehicles) I was informed that it had just changed to allow mini busses to use the third lane and also to use bus lanes and 70 was allowed on the motorway (unless a lower limit in force).

when I collected the afore mentioned vehicle I was told it had a restrictor but everything else and road rules were all as any of the other vehicles. the person telling me this was the guy who'd overseen my test so i trusted his knowlage

I am aware that ignorance of the law is not a defense

the vehicles I drive can't exceed three tonnes, those listed seem to apply to 7.5T + such as busses and coaches...

slightly ambiguous wording really.

Trillian

it legally doesn't have to be fitted with a restrictor, it just got supplied with one as it's needed on the continent, incase one of the societies goes abroard, which they can't as none of the drivers have mini bus licences, just MIDAS certificates.

domd1979

Veteran
Just done some more reading...!! If it was registered on or after Jan 2005, then the limiter has to (by law) be fitted - deadline for which was 1st Jan 2008 for buses of <5t GVW (which your average 16 seater would be) being used for national operations. International use would have required it before the Jan 08 derogation.

If registered before Jan 05, I'm a little less clear on what Croner's is saying.... It says that a diesel PSV, GVW <10t, registered 1st Jan 2001 onwards, but before Jan 05, has to have a limiter Jan 06 on (if used internationally), or Jan 07 (if used UK only). Guess that includes minibuses.

The not driving abroad is an interesting one. Can't find reference to any legal restriction under the stuff on driving licences, though haven't read the zillions of pages on EU operation. Anyone who has passed their test Jan 97 onwards, can drive a 16 seater <3.5t, not for hire or reward, if they are 21+ and have had their licence 2 years+. Since driving licences are supposed to have been harmonised across the EU, that ought to apply on the continent?

Trillian said:
it legally doesn't have to be fitted with a restrictor, it just got supplied with one as it's needed on the continent, incase one of the societies goes abroard, which they can't as none of the drivers have mini bus licences, just MIDAS certificates.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Mr Pig said:
I'm just happy that trucks are 'not' allowed in the 'fast' lane. You'd have three-lane elephant races all over the place.

Wait till you see an Irish truck in the outside lane. :biggrin: Got to be doing a decent speed to keep up with them.
Trucks arent slow going up hills because of the limiter, its something to do with them being very heavy, and most of the trucks are low-ish powered.
If i am right, the limiters are set to 56mph instead of the offical speed limit for trucks because of fuel saving, and so some of them are having the limiter made lower to 52mph because of even better fuel savings.
Just some random information.

domd1979

Veteran
The limit for limiters on goods vehicles is 90km/h = 56mph - anything lower than that would presumably be for fuel economy like you say.

Joe24 said:
If i am right, the limiters are set to 56mph instead of the offical speed limit for trucks because of fuel saving, and so some of them are having the limiter made lower to 52mph because of even better fuel savings.
Just some random information.

Joe24

domd1979 said:
The limit for limiters on goods vehicles is 90km/h = 56mph - anything lower than that would presumably be for fuel economy like you say.

But the official limit for them is 60mph IIRC.
But then that could be wrong.

domd1979

Veteran
Yep, HGV limit is 60mph - guess 56mph on the limiter is due to do with the limiter needing to be in km/h (& EU law?). Similarly, PSVs in theory can do 70mph on the motorway, but the law requires their limiter to be set to 100 km/h = 65mph.

Joe24 said:
But the official limit for them is 60mph IIRC.
But then that could be wrong.

Mr Pig

Joe24 said:
Trucks aren't slow going up hills because of the limiter, its something to do with them being very heavy

Why do I feel like Father Dougal McGuire right now? ;0)

These ones are small. The ones out there are faaaar away...

We were being tailgated by a truck one day. My mate in the passenger seat said 'Hang on a minute and we'll sort him out'. Just as we started going up a hill he said 'quick, slow right down'. I slowed to about forty and the truck had to slow too. Then we sped off up the hill and the truck, which had lost all its momentum disappeared into the distance! My mate gave him the finger out of the window, which I thought was uncalled for, but funny.

Joe24

Mr Pig said:
Why do I feel like Father Dougal McGuire right now? ;0)

These ones are small. The ones out there are faaaar away...

We were being tailgated by a truck one day. My mate in the passenger seat said 'Hang on a minute and we'll sort him out'. Just as we started going up a hill he said 'quick, slow right down'. I slowed to about forty and the truck had to slow too. Then we sped off up the hill and the truck, which had lost all its momentum disappeared into the distance! My mate gave him the finger out of the window, which I thought was uncalled for, but funny.

So you purposly slowed down the truck on a hill(on a motorway?), because he sat close to you? Bit stupid really, because he would of had to build up alot of momentum which would have taken a while causing other traffic to deal with the truck slowly getting back up to a speed.
Better ways to deal with tailgating then that.;)

Mr Pig

Joe24 said:
So you purposely slowed down the truck on a hill(on a motorway?), because he sat close to you?

Yip. And indeed, it was stupid. Not something I'd do now but I was in my late teens at the time. One does a lot of idiotic things in ones teens. And if you don't, you should! ;0)

Trillian

domd1979 said:
Yep, HGV limit is 60mph - guess 56mph on the limiter is due to do with the limiter needing to be in km/h (& EU law?). Similarly, PSVs in theory can do 70mph on the motorway, but the law requires their limiter to be set to 100 km/h = 65mph.

they get set to 100km/h as thats the EU law at a guess, 56 is something like 90.2km/h

Animal

Mr Pig said:
I always think it's quite amusing when cyclists, who pay not tax, need no insurance and pass no test, start bemoaning the traffic laws. ;0)

**** me!

Can you give me your accountant's name?

I pay 40% tax on my income, 17.5% tax on everything I buy, £185 per year on my VED, £1800 per year on my council tax. I pay £250ish per year motor insurance, and £60 bike insurance to cover me in case of incidents.

If he knows how riding a bike to work every day exempts me from all of this I'll save a fortune!

A fortune that helps prop up the NHS that keep smug-faced fatsos like you alive when your smugged yourself to death.

Top Bottom