Family of Fife Cyclist Appeal to Driver.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Proves the law doesn’t work, how many times will this exact same scenario of being banned & just carrying on driving regardless of the consequences have to go on, what Drago says is right, the vehicle should at least be clamped, better still removed, but these people will probably just buy another old heap and carry on without a care in the world

rualexander

Legendary Member
So the police are appealing for the occupants of an Audi to come forward because they may have witnessed what happend, but they are saying that the Audi occupants 'were in no way involved in the incident'.
Surely if they witnessed it and didn't stop to help, then they were involved in the incident?!

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless a police officer orders you to act, theres no duty in England. Even then, convictions are very, very rare. I only know of one personally, and that must have been 25 years ago or more, early in my policing career.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Disqualified driver with no insuarance too. I bet because of his age he will not serve serious time, despite perverting the cause of justice and killing someone.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Disqualified driver with no insuarance too. I bet because of his age he will not serve serious time, despite perverting the cause of justice and killing someone.

Let's see *if* he's convicted first.

A similar, but non-fatal, incident happened near me three years ago. 78yr old driver hit a cyclist, throwing him into a ditch on a very quiet country road and left him for dead. The rider suffered a broken back and broken leg. He was only saved when some time later a passing motorist noticed the victim's arm waving from the ditch.

The culprit was caught after public appeals and diligent policecwork, yet the driver was only convicted of careless driving, his not guilty pleas to failing to stop and failing to report were accepted.

Guess what the punishment was?
Fined £330 and 4 points on his licence.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Guess what the punishment was?
Fined £330 and 4 points on his licence.

Scary. In cases like this it is often said that putting an old person away is not warrented, but failing to stop and render assistance should mean automatic jail time.

Top Bottom