Family sayings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
"Is it a piano?" - in response to a particularly heavy cough.

Three runs round the table and a bite of the chair leg - in response to asking what's for breakfast.

Bloody roll on - said by my Dad, with engineering roots I believe.

There is also the legendary (to our family) "Mrs Simmey on the bucket" used in the context of something completely unexpected. Nobody in the family knows where it comes from, but it's from part of an anecdote to do with cleaning a theatre "and when they pulled back the curtains there was Mrs. Simmey on the bucket".

buggi

Bird Saviour
i think its a west mids saying but "all the way round the wrekin", when you're trying to explain something and you go the long way round. thing was i never realised that the wrekin is a big hill in Telford until i was made to walk up it on an office team-building away-day thingy. after that it made more sense. (and having walked up it, i'd rather go round it anyday!)

longers

Legendary Member
Baggy said:
"Is it a piano?" - in response to a particularly heavy cough.

:wacko:.

We'd ask where my dad was and get told "he's run off with a black woman with red hair".
No idea why though :sad:. He was only at work.

purpleR

Guru
"a wee bit fish to myself!"
said indignantly to the person who's just made themself some food without asking if anyone else wants some.

purpleR

Guru
When saying goodnight on the night before a birthday (e.g. 5th birthday), our family says "Goodnight, sweet little four-year-old" - a tradition that is still going strong even though we're all grown up now, i.e. Goodnight, sweet little thirty-one-year-old :wacko:

Johnny Thin

Reading Alan Clark's diaries there is some choice family slang - one example is "a thompson" = shoot, eg "He must have gone for a thompson" or even is used as a verb, "They must have thought I was thompsoning"

My Dad used to say (when a storm was approaching) "Looking black ower t' wife's mothers" Similarly, on a dark, wet and wintry night he would open the door, look out, and say "It's as black as a black cows arse out there". My maternal gran (who was a 'bit religious') when particularly annoyed with/by something would mutter "Jam and butter the bready thing".

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Probably not just used in our family when I was young... and I'm sure I'll be using it with my own 2 kids...

Me : Mum, where's my XXXX (insert word here)?
Mum : Wherever you left it

Yeah, no sh*t Sherlock.. thanks for the help. :evil: (obviously this wasn't said aloud!)

crow_se

Old family sayings when I was growing up in the West Midlands.
If things were messy and untidy my mother used to say 'Its like Casey bloody court' with Casey pronounced Cayzey and court pronounced coo-ert.
Apples where theres orchard - to him that hath shall be given
jibbers - sweets
If I upset her her cry was always 'You bloody little atchemite', I carried this on with my kids and now always refer to the granddaughters as atchemites.
Looks like a spring bloody poet in bloom - needs haircut.
Wants to know the way to Megs a*se and the road up it - being nosy.
A slow dirge like piece of music was always referred to as the 'Ostitutes (Prostitutes) return' and always used to say 'shes going up the steps now'
Probably lots more but cant bring them to mind at the moment.

JamesAC

Yorkshireman said:
My Dad used to say (when a storm was approaching) "Looking black ower t' wife's mothers" ...

My mum said "It's black over Bill's Mother's". I never new who Bill, or his mother, were!!

J

crow_se

Just remembered more :
When asked what present I was having for Xmas or birthday my mother always used to say A silver new nothing to hang round your neck.
If I didnt know what something was she would say A wimwom for a ducks bridle.
If someone eg. shop assistant was moving too slowly for her, she used to say there was 'jed lice dropping off' them. Jed - dead.

Top Bottom