Farmers & Crop Sprayers

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
What are we talking about here: a few drips or puddle rather than a fire hose or riot police water cannon? Sounds like a fuss about nowt unless I'm missing something. Obstruction of a bridleway by a hose ? If a horse could step over it - say a 100mm pipe, is this really an issue ?

I may have missed a nuance here, but...

classic33

Leg End Member
I was thinking more this sort,
sprayer-620x330.jpg

until the picture was posted.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I was thinking more this sort,
until the picture was posted.
Yeah I wasn't sure what they were called, I understand they need to water the crops, but a little thought for the trespassers legally crossing their land would be nice

Drago

Legendary Member
Rights of ways can be temporarily blocked or diverted. I don’t think having an irrigator running for a few days a year is going to pass the test of a ‘persistent obstruction’, which you rightly note is effectively the test.

They can indeed, but it requires a lawful closure or diversion order. These are granted by the County Council and have to be advertised in advance of the Carncil making a decision so people have the opportunities to lodge a complaint. Simply doing it unilaterally is rather naughty.

Again, I doubt it would bother me. Guidance from The Ramblers is refreshingly simple - walk around it, taking care to to minimise damage to crops etc.

Slick

Guru
They can indeed, but it requires a lawful closure or diversion order. These are granted by the County Council and have to be advertised in advance of the Carncil making a decision so people have the opportunities to lodge a complaint. Simply doing it unilaterally is rather naughty.

Again, I doubt it would bother me. Guidance from The Ramblers is refreshingly simple - walk around it, taking care to to minimise damage to crops etc.
Good advice there from the ramblers. :thumbsup:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Remember that they are just trying to water their crops. It might not have been possible to keep the bridle way totally clear. If it was a permanent fixture then it would be worse, but hopefully it's only a temporary inconvenience for you and other users. Let's also not tar every farmer with the same brush. My Father goes out of his way to keep a bridleway he is responsible for clean and tidy. That included a weeks work last year hedging. And a few times a year clearing washing machines, building waste and one time even a dumped car at his own expense (the council didn't care). And he doesn't even need access to the bridleway so was all done for the occasional horse rider or walker.

Slick

Guru
The only photo I can see looks rather squirty?
The implement wasn't the obstruction, it was the hose feeding it that was the problem. I have seen some of these hoses leak in numerous places but I just deal with it and move on.

It's actually a lot worse during muck spreading operations now as a lot are using a similar system in stead of hauling a spreader back and forth to the farm. xx(

Slick

Guru
Remember that they are just trying to water their crops. It might not have been possible to keep the bridle way totally clear. If it was a permanent fixture then it would be worse, but hopefully it's only a temporary inconvenience for you and other users. Let's also not tar every farmer with the same brush. My Father goes out of his way to keep a bridleway he is responsible for clean and tidy. That included a weeks work last year hedging. And a few times a year clearing washing machines, building waste and one time even a dumped car at his own expense (the council didn't care). And he doesn't even need access to the bridleway so was all done for the occasional horse rider or walker.
I cycled a great stretch of track in Aberdeen through farm land that was kept in great condition and fitted with kissing gates. I assumed it was the council that would fund these things but now you mention it, it very well could have been the individual farmers. I'll need to find out next time I'm up.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Sounds like a fuss about nowt unless I'm missing something..
It's in Cafe isn't this what it's supposed to be about?
It’s life. The OP needs to get on with it. Pointless thread.
It's in Cafe isn't this what it's supposed to be about?
It might not be so easy to step over if it's spraying water? I'm having a little trouble visualising exactly what the OP is describing.
As others have said, in 2 instances it was the pipe which fed the water sprayer, the first wasn't bad a 150mm pipe that I just hopped straight over, the 2nd was more difficult, it was a the same 150mm pipe but it mist have been at least 300mm in the air, meaning I had to sop & lift the bike over, I very much doubt you would have got a horse to straddle it & I would imagine a few walkers may have struggled. The 3rd was the worst to pass, the pipe was easiest as it was in a furrow but the sprayer dumping gallons & gallons of water back onto the bridleway making it into a quagmire even waiting for the arm to go into the opposite direction made it impossible to get past without getting drenched.

Top Bottom