Farmers & Crop Sprayers

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Round here they just pull up the public footpath sign, chuck it under some trees and plough through the path if it suits.
Must admit the 3rd instance is potato's I went across it a couple of months ago on the day it had been ploughed (or maybe day after) & then banked up for the seeds to go it, the peaks & troughs must have been 450mm it was almost impossible to walk across let alone ride, had to carrier the bike the full width of the field.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Footpaths across crops have to be reinstated as soon as possible, but that doesn't mean the same day unfortunately.
Yes we have some farmers in the area that as soon as they have finished ploughing/harrowing etc. they then seem to immediately use the tractor to make a clear path showing the way, but others seem to just ignore it & it slowly gets reinstated as people use it. We also have some that accidentally erect gates across paths, put up barbed wire fences along the length of paths, seem to forget to cut back the hedge rows in certain places. We have a large private estate who meticulously maintains their footpaths & bridleways, they also put up lots of signs asking people not to go down certain private tracks which I think on the whole people observe.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

We have one farmer who clearly doesn't want people on his land, he's fairly recently (last 5 years) taken it over from his father, his father kept all the routes open, even allowing access down a lane & through the farmyard which was private. As soon as the son took over, he put up private signs & put a padlocked gate across it, he then closed off another route that the OAP's used to walk, again it wasn't a right of way but they had used it for years, it made a 1 mile walk into a 3 mile walk which many couldn't/can't do. He then put a fence up of 3 barbed wire strands along the full length of a field which had always been open. His latest is again to stop people coming through his farmyard (which is the public right of way) he's moved the fence back 10 feet & effectively re-routed the bridleway around the back of a Dutch barn, then put a gate across his yard. If you didn't know the way you would automatically go around the barn. I have no objection to him doing it as the new route presently is better than going across the yard, but he needs to apply for permission & have the definitive map updated. This one has been reported to the council

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5300811, member: 9609"]Dairy farm near me is using this idea, the slurry is pumped through pipes to the fields and attaches to back of tractor that sprays it, pretty unpleasant if that pipe burst when cycling past ^_^

Back to water irrigation though - a few years back one of those giant sprayers, the type that roll themselves back and forwards along the tram lines went out of control, didn't select reverse at the end of the field and got itself stuck in a hedge and then wrote a house off - the water jet burst the upstairs windows and then for an entire afternoon everytime it went round it was pumping 10 or 20 gallons into the upstairs bedroom.

as to the OP - just live and let live, they have a tough job and its getting desperate for some crops with this dry weather, we've all got to try and help each other out from time to time.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, not everyone had that level of understanding or empathy for such a tough gig.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, it probably wouldn't worry me, as long as it wasn't at neck height or some such. Chez Drago is wedged between 2 farms, one of whom goes to great pains with his rights of ways, and one who takes liberties. I the case of the latter the farmer died and the farm is still family owned, but is run by a contractor. They've no interest in anything except profit, and they do take liberties.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I was brought up surrounded by farms and we were rarely away from them as my old man was a butcher. I got to know a lot of farmers very well including some droll deep bastards but on the whole a better breed of guys you would struggle to find who wanted the general public to enjoy the country side as much as they did but you did have to remember that it's a commercial enterprise first and foremost.

Drago

Legendary Member
And I do have great sympathy with farmers who go to the effort of maintaining decent rights of way, only for a small proportion of the public to abuse it, letting their dogs damage crops, not picking up their land mines, and generally taking the Michael.

D

Deleted member 23692

A professional take on this with f' y'all with some mythbusting a thrown in

Is it a rule that if a farmer has to put a crop sprayer out that they have to put it in such a place as the water pipe must cross the bridleway & that they have to position it in such a way it's not possible to pass the water spray on the bridleway without getting wet?
It would be classed as an illegal obstruction similar to a fallen tree, knackered stile or gate blocking a PRoW . A proper and proportionate response in most cases like this would be to give the landowner reasonable time to remove the obstruction before enforcement would be considered... within14 days would normally be deemed as fair. Obviously busy paths would need a more immediate response. However there is no legal duty placed on landowners or highway authorities to facilitate the use of pedal cycles on bridleways, so I'd doubt if any action would be taken as both horse and walker would be able to step over the pipe without too trouble (same as a small fallen tree). 14 days would be ample for the issue to resolve itself.

That would likely classify as an obstruction, but you've two hopes of your local County Council taking enforcement action, and one of those is Bob.
Not so, as a member of the public you can serve notice on a highway authority if you feel they are not taking the issue seriously enough or acting within reasonable time.

Yes they have a lawful duty to keep lawful rights of way on their land clear of obstruction, and those who persistently don't face enforcement. Their obligation to obey laws is the same as everyone else's.
Correct - they can also lose subsidy and stewardship payments under cross-compliance legislation. The threat of hitting them in the pocket can reap quick results.

Maybe it is, in ways a bit sad, but there's plenty out there that wouldn't be bothered about blocking a Right of Way. Seen as an intrusion at best, at worst a loss of land usage.
It's actually illegal to grow on crop on a public right of way, so they are not losing use of the land, as they are not able to use it in the first place. Pasture/silage is is classed as natural vegetation so growing that on a PRoW is permissible, as long as they've destroyed a surfaced route to do so.

A bridleway is not necessarily a public highway.
All PRoWs are classed as 'highways maintained at public expense' and much of the governing legislation relating to asserting and protecting the public's right to use them is via the Highways Act 1980. The major difference between a highway and public right of way is the differing level of legal vested interest the Highway Authority has on particular routes. There is no definite map for highways

Rights of ways can be temporarily blocked or diverted. I don’t think having an irrigator running for a few days a year is going to pass the test of a ‘persistent obstruction’, which you rightly note is effectively the test.
Without an in-force legal order or notice (Temporary Traffic Regulation Order) any temporary obstruction (aka closure) would be illegal. There's no such thing as 'temporary diversion' on a PROW, as any alternative route would either use an existing PRoW, or a permissive path to bypass the closure, and the permissive path has no protectable legal status.

Yeah I wasn't sure what they were called, I understand they need to water the crops, but a little thought for the trespassers legally crossing their land would be nice
You can't be a trespasser on a PRoW as you have a legal right to pass and repass, assuming your method of crossing the land is commensurate with it's legal status.

They can indeed, but it requires a lawful closure or diversion order. These are granted by the County Council and have to be advertised in advance of the Carncil making a decision so people have the opportunities to lodge a complaint. Simply doing it unilaterally is rather naughty.
It's actually the public that decide whether a route can be diverted or extinguished and all the HA do is manage the process of public consultation and order making. Whilst a HA can make a legal order, it can only be confirmed if there are no objections. Should there be unresolvable objections, the matter must be refereed to the SoS and the decision will then be made by the Planning Inspectorate.

Temporary closures for planned works don't need public consultation, just a valid reason to do so and money to process the application. Emergency closures (legal notice) don't need to be advertised

Footpaths across crops have to be reinstated as soon as possible, but that doesn't mean the same day unfortunately.
The surface must be restored within 2 weeks of the first surface disturbance and within 24 hours of any subsequent disturbance. Crops must be removed for the surface of the path when they exceed about 100mm high and not allowed to regrow, so spraying off is the usual option. Incidentally paths across (or around arable fields) are the only times where widths are defined in legislation.

Right I'm off for me tea

Drago

Legendary Member
And none of it ever happens!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Don't blame me I wasn't there, you didn't see me & you can't prove a thing!

Top Bottom