Farnborough airport protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Good luck keeping politics out of this one!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
We as a species are going to look really stupid when everyone wakes up to the real fact that climate change is a real thing rich or poor and what we mainly spent our time doing was arguing who made the most mess instead of (despite knowing we only have the one planet) working together and repairing the damage.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We as a species are going to look really stupid when everyone wakes up to the real fact that climate change is a real thing rich or poor and what we mainly spent our time doing was arguing who made the most mess instead of (despite knowing we only have the one planet) working together and repairing the damage.

No one wants to listen to 'experts' if they're saying things that people don't want to hear .

Oil companies obfuscated on climate change for decades .

Other big carbon emitting businesses too.

There is no tax on aviation fuel, hence flying is artificially cheap.

We have to look at causes (and solutions)
if we're going to improve things

Richer countries are more able to take action.

They're are also the ones creating, and benefitting from most of the emissions.

These are all just facts.

Who gets to decide what gets done about it , and how is politics.

But it's debatable science, and therein lies the politics.
The fact that climate change is happening is not debatable.
The exact mechanism and what will happen next is far too complex to be totally understood - which is what gives the deniers - and those with a vested interest in arguing the point - traction to create an argument.

The rest is mostly conspiracy theories - probably fed by people like oil companies who need to keep profits up for as long as possible.
A bit like the tobacco companies saying cigarettes are good for you, then not too bad for you, then agreeing to cut advertising, then agreeing to plainer packaging - they just do everything to make the wind down as slow as possible.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It isn't debatable at all! It proven beyond doubt and demonstrable in many ways around the globe.
The fact that the vast majority or at least the vast majority with influence* needed to wait til it was almost too late to act is depressing , to say the least

*I know we might argue that the ones with most influence, also had an invested interest in everything carrying on as per, but that might be judged as 'political' these days.

If it is then ...

I have to say 'almost' too late to act, cos I'm not giving up just yet.

It's almost a case of not wanting the young'uns to see me give up, either.

And anyway every 1/10th of a degree of warming we can prevent, is just a bit less hardship for future generations.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
As a geography graduate I'd echo the climate change aspect, but that discussion heads to NACA.

When a teenager I was protesting about climate change long before it was 'fashionable', and have the consequences in my history. Did it get anywhere? Probably not.

A different question; would it be legal to spray they protesters with freezing water, then let them stay for a while? :cold: *

* For reference I got sprayed with far worse when protesting xx(

Brandane

Legendary Member
Just how much of the science have you actually read?
Only that which is reported in the press, and even then there is some debate. Yes, climate change is happening, of that there is no doubt. The reasons for it are debatable, as was stated upthread, and liked by our own climate change expert, @mudsticks .
The exact mechanism and what will happen next is far too complex to be totally understood
At the end of the day, I am not overly concerned about climate change. I will be gone in 20 or 30 years at best, possibly a lot sooner. I have done the one thing that contributes most to slowing the process, by not reproducing. The bottom line with the whole climate change thing is there are far too many people on the planet, using too much of it's natural resources, and still reproducing to make the whole cycle worse!
As I may have mentioned before, the best thing that could happen to planet earth is that the human species no longer exists. That will naturally happen at some point in the future, whether it be tens, hundreds, thousands, or millions of years away.
Once that happens, planet earth will recover and thrive without us, until evolution brings along another shower of nobbers to wreak havoc.

Only that which is reported in the press, and even then there is some debate. Yes, climate change is happening, of that there is no doubt. The reasons for it are debatable, as was stated upthread, and liked by our own climate change expert, @mudsticks .

At the end of the day, I am not overly concerned about climate change. I will be gone in 20 or 30 years at best, possibly a lot sooner. I have done the one thing that contributes most to slowing the process, by not reproducing. The bottom line with the whole climate change thing is there are far too many people on the planet, using too much of it's natural resources, and still reproducing to make the whole cycle worse!
As I may have mentioned before, the best thing that could happen to planet earth is that the human species no longer exists. That will naturally happen at some point in the future, whether it be tens, hundreds, thousands, or millions of years away.
Once that happens, planet earth will recover and thrive without us, until evolution brings along another shower of nobbers to wreak havoc.

The 'science' tends to fall over with some of the proposed solutions, and a chunk of that is due to the poor presentation of the science in reports, such as those from the IPPC, which is often the bit that those claiming to understand it have read, rather than the actual science that underpins it.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

The reasons are not debatable.

The precise outcomes are.

Even after decades in this I'd still love to wake up tomorrow and discover all this was a hoax.

Personally I don't think it's fair or just to unborn generations, the younger generations, and to all those people, and species who are not nobbers for us not to at least try to slow this thing down.

It's not 'too many people'

It's overconsumption by too many people.

You can be as sanguine as you like, about it all happening after you are dead.
That's fine, your choice.

Makes no difference, either way.

Others feel compelled to try to get more action taken.

By the way I'm not a climate expert.

I just listen to those whose education and job it is to be that.

The consensus from them, on man made climate change is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom