fastening bikes in a van

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Loads of ways - google it. Fork mounts are one, very secure, and will leave you additional space. You could make a frame from MDF to slot the rear wheel in (bike in back first to bulkhead). Personally I'd be getting fork mounts - you could even get claver and have a sliding 'bed' so that comes out of the van, and then fix bike, and slide in.

You need this:

https://www.yakima.com/locking-blockhead

Buy mine. They've never been used. I bought them in the US long before I got the pick-up I wanted but never bought in the end.

They are damn expensive but they're the best. They are super sturdy and robust, like the American pick-up I never did get for Christmas.

Yours for GBP 40-00. Posted.

Yakima.jpg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
You need this:

https://www.yakima.com/locking-blockhead

Buy mine. They've never been used. I bought them in the US long before I got the pick-up I wanted but never bought in the end.

They are damn expensive but they're the best. They are super sturdy and robust, like the American pick-up I never did get for Christmas.

Yours for GBP 40-00. Posted.

View attachment 486201
Showing my age again.......
Why bother at all about Blockheads?
Why shouldn't they do as they please?
You know if it came to a brainy game
You could baffle a Blockhead with ease

JPBoothy

Veteran
How about some foam along one side and a bit on the floor. Then some anchor points and tensioning straps to secure?
Pipe lagging foam is always handy for between bikes. I often carry short pieces in my backpack bag for when I have to lean my bike against those annoyingly abrasive public racks. Why they aren't plastic coated I can never understand. Oops sorry, a slightly off-topic rant slipped in there :giggle:

JPBoothy

Veteran
I put bikes in the back of my car with old carpet/rugs as a sandwich layer. It seems to work okay, perhaps because there is less room for things to move around.
Ha Ha, so you keep the old bits of carpet too.. I have done this for years but all of the reaching in/out may explain the occasional bad back and the double hernia operation that I had earlier in the week :laugh:

Sounds heavy.
Not really its not the full accroprops its what ever props he uses for his joinery business.

Slick

Guru
Not really its not the full accroprops its what ever props he uses for his joinery business.
I knew it wouldn't be the full size ones but even the smaller acrows can hardly be described as light weight. Whatever works for the individual though and if he's a joiner, he'll be no stranger to a well laden van. :okay:

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Okay I'm leaning towards robguls plan - I have some old guttering type bike racks for the car roof that I thought I had thrown out, but my wife is sure I kept them. The arms / supports that hold the bike were loose and rattling, so I bought newer single arm ones. I can fasten two of those to the floor to hold the wheels. Then a metal pole attached to the side of the van - maybe even a towel rail, with a couple of thule arms and clamps attached. Like the ones on this rack. They're quite expensive almost £30 each from Germany but, designed for the job. Then I just need to run the bike wheels in the channel, top and tail them with a clamp each securing them in place.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I bought one of these, or one very similar as I paid twenty pounds

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wall-Mou...808175?hash=item5d84f8106f:g:lVkAAOSwX6RcA4bc

It's brilliant. Screwed to a piece of wood, then onto the ply, holds the bike rock steady (the wheels are on the floor) and it came with two of the backing plates, so each side of my van takes different bikes (one side MTB, the other road). The mount easily slides in and out of the backing plate. I'm thinking of getting another to mount on my garage wall.

Top Bottom